Rectifier full revalve question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive bought a full valve kit for my Single Rectifier, from Watfordvalves.com

Firstly, ive never changed valves in an amp before, but I understand i dont require it being biased, i thought i would do it myself.

I chose the kit that contains....

4 Specially Selected Harma ECC83 Retro
1 Specially Selected and Balanced Harma ECC83 Retro
2 Specially Selected Harma 6L6GC Retro

What is the ‘1 Specially Selected and Balanced Harma ECC83 Retro’ for? What position should it be installed? Are all the ECC83 positions clearly labelled when i remove the chasis from the head itself?
Ive watched a tube change vid on youtube of a Dual rec and it seemed straightforward.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers!

The balanced tube should be used for the phase inverter, V5. That's the preamp tube farthest away from the input jack.

The lowest noise tube should be installed in V1.

When you pull an old tube out of the chassis, hold it firmly between thumb and forefinger and when you pull it out, make careful note of the orientation of the space between the tube pins. Put the new tube in your hand in the same orientation and it'll be pretty easy to correctly position it and push it into the socket. Don't force it. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to install it correctly, and it doesn't take a lot more pressure to break the tube glass

Thank you so much for your reply!

When you say ‘lowest noise tube in V1’ - what does that mean exactly? Presumably if i put the balanced tube in V5, im left with 4 tubes that are exactly the same... how do i determine which is lowest noise?

Apologies if im sounding a bit dumb haha

Latest posts

Back