Blown fuse

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triprec82

Reaction score
Hi all. I had a fuse blow in a NON multi-watt 3 ch triple rec. I need to get some spare fuses, but in the meantime sent a message to boogie just to ask a few questions. I was curious of any other suggestions or conflicting info. I'm mainly concerned with the tube matching and also if it's completely ok to leave the rectifier tubes out when using silicon diodes. Below is my email and response with boogie.

Thanks for any additional info!

Inquiry
"Hello,
My 3 ch (NON multi-watt )triple rectifier blew a fuse. I have some spare power tubes from when i previously changed them. All 6 of the spares are coded "BLU 05". I can't remember if i put the old tubes in the matched sets back in the same box....as in positions 1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4 in the corresponding boxes. Is it totally safe to put all of the power tubes back in the amp in any position as long as they have the same color and number code? If not, is there another way to make sure which ones should go together? Or is it unsafe/not good for the amp?

Also, the amp was already in the silicon diodes position. So, is it safe to say it's not a rectifier tube? Other than blowing a fuse, are there issues (noise/sputtering) that occur with bad diodes? I have been having noise, sputtering, popping in all channels and modes in the recent. It was suggested to me that my input jack might be going out."

Mesa
"If they are the same color code, it does not matter which sockets they are installed in.

A rectifier can still short out and cause the fuse to blow, even in the silicone diode position. If you don't use the amp in the Tube Rectifier setting, simply remove the rectifier tubes from the amp altogether.

The noises you heard are indicative of a bad power tube.
Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks!"

***Update***

I've since replaced the fuse and tested all of the rectifier and power tubes per this article.
https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/217170867?input_string=tube+matching

The amp came on fine and I wasn't able to narrow it down to one tube. I played on it for about an hour with no issues.

Any ideas/suggestions are helpful.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back