Tremoverb + Attenuator?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey D.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just messing around with some different setups with a newly acquired Tremoverb. I currently have two power tubes and one rec tube pulled to run it at half power and, as per Mesa's instruction, am running it on the 4ohm tap into my 8ohm Recto cab. I wanted to hook up my Weber Mass 100 attenuator to see what sounds I can get but I'm wondering what should the ohm rating be set at on the attenuator: 4 ohm to reflect the head? Or 8 ohm to reflect the cab?

If you’re going to use an attenuator I recommend putting all the tubes back in and then run 8 to 8 to 8. My T-Verb sounds great with an attenuator. Experiment too with getting the channel Masters quite high. It gets pretty beefy. But that will create high send levels for the loop. Getting the channel masters up also has a great effect with the Mk V.

I agree with skoora.

I tried removing tubes on the Tremoverb and several other amps. In every case I felt it sounded worse. The transformer doesn't saturate right and volume difference in the room is virtually none. All I got out of it was a thinner weaker sound where the poweramp overdrive sounds odd.

Some people prefer this sound. When doing a direct comparison it's not for me.

I have used a THD Hot Plate extensively with the Tremoverb. It can help a lot with get the poweramp up to the point where the amp gets fat and smooths out the highs.

Back