Rectifier 2x12 cab - Rattling

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderJollyRoger

Reaction score
Hi there,

title says it all - yesterday I was fiddling around in the practice room and heard a weird sound I had never heard before. I first thought one of the speakers might have died, but after a bit of double testing with my mate's 2x12 cab (which does the same thing), I realized that the grill cloth rattled at certain notes, mainly the low F# and G on a six string.

This gets especially pronounced with the neck pickup, palm mutes, distortion and obviously volume (I'm playing loud, not insane, but generally loud). Well, I was glad it wasn't a speaker, but I'm wondering if someone else has experienced this behaviour. I'm totally aware that a 100 Watt Rectifier is able to push a lot of thump into a cabinet, so sooner or later something might hit a weird resonance or whatever.

A quick google search made it clear that this can be a general problem with cabs. Some people apparently glue drum dampeners or putty-like stuff on the cloth. Any ideas? I don't plan to gig or record with the cab anytime soon, but it would be nice to know I'm not the only one and someone has an easy solution, or at least that I don't have a cab with a defective grill... :)

Definitely the resonance. If you can figure out where it seems to rattle, I'd start trying to secure the grill at that spot or using some foam or something to dampen the noise.

Sorry to poke a dead thread, but I'm just wondering, did you ever resolve the issue? I just picked up a 2x12 recto cab and I'm experiencing the exact same grill cloth "rattle" on the F# and G notes of the low E string...

Hmm. I got it fixed by using less bass and less volume. Also, applying some tape over the cloth helped a little :lol:

But I can give it another check tomorrow or so. Unfortunately, I'm not doing any music actively in the moment, so the issued kind of got lost.

Latest posts

Back