Help? Versions of my two triple rectos?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher65

Reaction score
I have acquired two Triple Rectifier heads. I don't know much about recto amp revisions. How and where would I find some information about that?

They are both black chassis, large logo models with the speaker jack configuration 16-8-8-4-4.

They do have parallel effects loops. (I don't know if there was any other option for a triple recto.)

I've seen that one has a spot for a 10K uF capacitor near the switching network, which is not populated. The other doesn't even have the traces or silkscreening for that part.

Although I haven't gone through each unit part by part, I know that they're nearly identical. The parts I've compared around the tubes all are the same types and values, from amp to amp.

One has a Dymo label serial number by a rectifier tube socket. Starts with R-059xxx. Of the two, this one has more of a midrange focus. It has silk-screened markings on the front panel that tell you that the solo and output controls are active when the loop is engaged. (Line-loop active-line)

The other has a printed serial starting with R-016xxx. It's slightly less midrangey. It does not have the silk-screened artwork by the solo and output controls as described above.

Any information you can give me concerning dating these amps and their revisions and desirability relative to other verisons would be greatly appreciated.

I acquired both of them in need of repair. They both had switching and muting issues. That was pretty quick to troubleshoot and repair in both cases. Turned out to be those R175 JFETS in both cases.

Things get more interesting.

Mesa says that no Triple Rec ever left the factory with a Dymo serial number label.

One of mine has a Dymo serial number label. Serias R059XXX. And it's the same narrow width Dymo tape that you find on older Mesa amps. It's an uncommon width tape. There is no evidence that a "correct" serial number decal was ever applied or removed. The serial number sticker is in the right spot, toward the back edge and between the outermost two rectifier tube sockets.

The serial number is also out of range. It'd be in the right range for an amp made in the last two years but this unit was made in 2002, judging by the date codes on the capacitors in it, plus the fact that it's not a multi watt version. It's not first generation production because it has the panel legend on it that shows that solo and output controls are only active when the loop is on.

I've named this one the White Rabbit. Curiouser and curiouser, you know.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I joined the forum yesterday after buying two Triple recs myself. I went on a mission and learned a lot and can direct you to a few pages with useful info. I also have a late serial number that does not line up with the Revision indicated by all other identifiers.

Since you obviously know your way around amp circuits, it fastest and easiest way to find out would be to look at the circuit board. 2-channel rects typically have their revision code printed on the circuit board near the big blue caps, and I believe 3-channel models also have codes printed on the board.

As for your "white rabbit" amp, that seems a curious case indeed. Two more possibilities to consider (and possibly reject): 1) a franken-amp, 2) a far-east pirate knock-off (you know, those Chinese will make pirate copies of just about everything - lots of almost genuine looking Gibson guitars floating around, unless you know exactly where to look for the minuscule differences).

Here is the three channel revision thread still incomplete, but what is there seems to fall into what you have...at least for the 16,000 serial.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72482

Back