George Lynch's Mesa Dual Rectifier, Rev C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwulf

Reaction score
Been a long while since I've been on the board. I'm still around, just haven't done the forum thing much in recent years, and I've been terrible about keeping up with things (what else is new?). That being said...

Thought I'd drop in and share something that may be of interest. I now own George Lynch's infamous Rev C that he used as his main amp through the mid and late 90s...the one that arguably started the "Pre-500" craze with the comments he made in some interviews. It's a killer amp.

Here's a very non-pro, low-fi iPhone clip in the room of Channel 1 (Vintage High Gain). Lots of saturation on tap here. Gain was only on around 10:00, no boosts or pedals used, just guitar straight into the amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6SM97yumQE

Just added this to the original post as well, but here's a very non-pro, low-fi iPhone clip in the room of Channel 1 (Vintage High Gain). Lots of saturation on tap here.

Gain was only on around 10:00, no boosts or pedals used, just guitar straight into the amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6SM97yumQE

Yet another legendary find. Good job!

You say it's very saturated so do you mean it's different from your standard Rev C models? I'd be highly curious of some gutshots if that's the case.

Are those settings taped on top of the amp supposed to be how Lynch set the amp up or what? I find them peculiar...

Shemham said:
Yet another legendary find. Good job!

You say it's very saturated so do you mean it's different from your standard Rev C models? I'd be highly curious of some gutshots if that's the case.

Are those settings taped on top of the amp supposed to be how Lynch set the amp up or what? I find them peculiar...

I don't think it's any more saturated than a typical Rev C on Channel 1. Channel 1 on a Rev C has always been a slightly different animal than those that came after. The little iPhone clip had the gain set around 10:00 straight in.

Yeah, it still has his live settings from the '94 to '98 (-ish) tours taped on top. He used Channel 1 on the amp. The settings aren't too far from the norm. He used to run it with Greenback cabs live.

I saw that post the other day on youtube and didn't realize it was you! This was an amazing find. Did you snag it off ebay? The tone in the video is very, very good. Seems like the room fit the recording perfectly.

Elpelotero said:
I saw that post the other day on youtube and didn't realize it was you! This was an amazing find. Did you snag it off ebay? The tone in the video is very, very good. Seems like the room fit the recording perfectly.

Haha, yeah! Still around and kicking, though not on the boards nearly as much these days. I did buy it online, though I honestly don't recall where (I know it wasn't Ebay). Some history on the amp...George used it as his primary amp starting in late '93-ish until about the end of '98, into '99. Has plenty of wear, but considering all the tours it's been on, it's in great shape. Only went back to Mesa once at the the end of the final tour because a cap came loose and it was touched up. Other than that, it was good to go.

George finally parted ways with the amp a year or so later and it came into the possession of the guy that had it until me now. He brought it to a clinic, George recognized the amp and signed it for him. They struck up a friendship of sorts, and every time Lynch would tour close by, the prior owner was given tickets, he'd bring the amp, and George would sign it again (lots of signatures on the amp). Lynch offered to buy it back a few times apparently.

Unfortunately, the prior owner passed away well before his time. The family moved some of his gear afterward, but held onto the amp for a handful of years when folks offered to buy it. It was THE amp for him and held significance because of the history, so they were hesitant to let it go. The family finally offered it up for sale, but also wanted it to go to the "right" home. I spoke with the family and friends, and they made peace selling it to me.

So, it's now with me, where I plan on it staying. It's a great amp. I've had my share of Rev Cs over the years, but this one is a great one, and my favorite of the lot. It was shipped out specifically for George back in the day.

all stock ? no secrets hidden inside ?..still,the history of it is worth keeping for ever imo.

2CDR said:
all stock ? no secrets hidden inside ?..still,the history of it is worth keeping for ever imo.

Yeah, considering the history and how it was acquired, I went in knowing this amp would be a permanent fixture with me.

I popped the chassis out just to look it over when it first arrived, but I haven't done any extensive circuit comparisons yet. I assume it's stock for a Rev C, but we'll see. I check it out when I get a few.

Silverwulf said:
I don't think it's any more saturated than a typical Rev C on Channel 1. Channel 1 on a Rev C has always been a slightly different animal than those that came after. The little iPhone clip had the gain set around 10:00 straight in.
So do you mean that a Rev C on Orange Vintage is much different from the other revisions - including Rev D? I'm aware of the horrible cleans on both, Rev C and D, and understand that channel cloning Orange to Modern must be much brighter as well, but how's the Orange Vintage mode then? Thanks!

Killer sounding with great history!

Man that's pretty gainy even with the gain set at 10:00 :shock:

JCDenton6 said:
Killer sounding with great history!

Man that's pretty gainy even with the gain set at 10:00 :shock:
its about where i set my gain on my G with 1 meg pot. :p

You should consider calling the Mesa factory and telling them the story. I know they've posted on this forum before. See if Mike can take a look at the chassis (perhaps even for free, considering the history etc) and determine if any modifications were done to the amp vs a regular Rev C. We all know that George planted the pre500 seed. This is still such an epic find, and it did go to the right home.

Elpelotero said:
You should consider calling the Mesa factory and telling them the story. I know they've posted on this forum before. See if Mike can take a look at the chassis (perhaps even for free, considering the history etc) and determine if any modifications were done to the amp vs a regular Rev C. We all know that George planted the pre500 seed. This is still such an epic find, and it did go to the right home.

Oh yeah, for sure. I've already been on the horn with folks at Mesa, and I'm actually sending it to Mike when I get a few to pack it up and send it off. It was shipped out specifically for George, and hasn't been back there in about 20 years (since George stopped touring with it) when a cap was touched up that was coming loose. I'll report back the findings.

Back