Triple Rec vs Studio Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypieran

Reaction score
I have a Triple Rec pre 2010 with series mod. Just wondering how the studio preamp would sound compared to the rectifier? I thought the studio preamp was more of a Mark style sound which is what I want considering selling recto for a power amp and getting preamp. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Want Master of Puppets tone without having to spend too much. My Triple Rec with Helix [Running Was and a Tubescreamer in the Helix] does pretty well but wanting better. Thinking Studio Preamp with a Poweramp and my Helix would be better.

Studio preamp has tone stack right after V1A, so yes, more of a Mk series setup (at least from a circuit viewpoint), unlike the Recto preamp sections.

BTW, Studio preamp is NOT the same as the preamp in the Studio/Caliber series of amps.

BTW, Studio preamp is NOT the same as the preamp in the Studio/Caliber series of amps.

How does the Studio Preamp sound compared to the Studio .22 amp?

The SP has more of a MK series sound (except perhaps the Mk-V).

The SP is: tube stage - tonestack - more tube stages. Think Fender sounds with more gain stages

The Studio/Calibers are different. Kind of in between the Mk series and some of the models starting with the Rectos.
The Rectos were/are: Multiple tube stages - tone stack (in the preamp section). Think modified (higher-gain) Marshalls (and lets not get into the 39K cathode resistor / Soldano SLO discussion).

The Studio/Calibers are unique in that for cleans, they are closer to the Fender/SP setup described above.
For overdrive, they routed the input signal to a doubled up (paralleled tube stages) preamp tube and mixed its back to the "normal" input tube stage. So what was the first tube stage for clean, became the second tube stage for overdrive. So kind of an in between sound for the lack of a better description.

SP plus 50:50 is supposed to essentially be a Mark IIC. That is true in my experience.

I gigged with a SP for a while. Liked it, but I prefer recto to Mark. I have had a way easier time getting tones I like from a recto, where a Mark takes lots of patience and dialing.

The SP is not bad for dialing, and there are some great YT vids that you can use for direction. I don't like that the channels are not actually separate (shared tone controls), so a more modern Mark or recto gives better tone for each channel.

Also, try an F50. Fantastic amps, and way inexpensive.

Back