Tri Rec as Poweramp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypieran

Reaction score
So I couldn't get my helix to work with the midi controller I bought so for now I've been using my Triple Rectifier as a power amp.... putting helix lt into return in fx loop both dials for loop at 50 percent. Then I use Helix LT Preamps. I gotta say it sounds amazing this way. I set up 3 patches, a lead, rhythm, and a clean. All based off my current gear. The clean using jc120 preamp with 70s chorus sounds just like my jc120 combo. Then the 2 dirty I actually used ANGL preamp for sounds amazing. My question is does the Triple Rectifier as power amp add some tube sound to it? It seems to be very rich sounding and feels a lot like playing my tube amp. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks guys.

I think you're on the right tracks. Many consider that tube power section is actually the only part of tube amps that is responsible for what we call the "tube sound" or "tube amp feel." I wouldn't say call tube preamps redundant, but majority of their features can be simulated fairly well with solid-state or digital technology. It is the interaction between the tube power section and speaker that is much more difficult to simulate in practice. It is of course a totally different matter how "tubey" a particular power section is. Especially as many modern guitar tube amps typically have very stiff power section in order to provide maximum power and eliminate various forms of power sag.

IMO, both Dual and Triple Rectos do add that tube feel. Even if they're biased pretty cold, they don't have overly stiff power section -especially if you use the tube rectifier setting. Naturally, you have to turn the amp up to pretty high volumes if you want these effects to kick in.

Agree you are on the right track. For LIVE or LOUD mic'd recording. Direct to the board, the Helix will probably (much as I hate to admit) get you everything you need. However...pushing the input of a tube amp, turning it's output up until your speakers beg for mercy, and putting a mic on it, is the sound that has defined rock music since the beginning. If you are in a situation where you can get away with that kind of SPL, you will be rewarded in a way no amp sim can touch.

Re: Helix down, amp up... yes that will get you close(r). Triple Rec gotta be pretty loud to be "working". Tube rectifier and the Spongy setting can help at lower vol's.

FWIW I have used an early Triple, a 3ch Dual, 3ch Triple, currently a Road King. Always at blistering SPL's, never as power amp only but I am confident any of them would kick azz in that application. Years ago I ran two Marshall 2203's as stereo power amps (using a variety of different preamps into the heads' fx returns) and it sounded fantastic. That said, Avid 11-Rack straight to DAW sounds really nice too, and that is how I record my rhythm overdubs, as well as bass and acoustic instruments. The Helix should get you there as well. For lead guitar however, for my taste/style/music, Mic the RK and crank it up.

Back