Rectifier Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypieran

Reaction score
I have a single rectifier tube out on my Triple Rectifier. What does this do??? Amp plays fine I use silicon diode. But only 2 rectifier tubes work. Is this ok or should I fix it quickly???

Hypieran said:
I have a single rectifier tube out on my Triple Rectifier. What does this do??? Amp plays fine I use silicon diode. But only 2 rectifier tubes work. Is this ok or should I fix it quickly???

If you're not using the amp on the Tube Rectifier setting, you can simply remove them from the amp!

If you are using the Tube Rectifier setting, yes - you need all 3 tubes to be operational, as they supply the DC current supply to the power tubes (converted from the AC wall current).

Ok thanks didnt know that. I have used tube before with the one tube off and didn't notice a problem, but won't use it again until I get replacement tubes ordered all new power tubes, pre amp tubes, and rectifier tubes.

Funny thing about Rectifier Tube(s).

My Lonestar 100 watt Rectifier Tube had a 'glassy rattle' but after I contacted Mesa Support they told me I could completely remove the tube IF I ran the amp in 'silicon diode' mode until I got a replacement tube. Of course in hindsight this make complete sense: The tube isn't 'active' at all, just powered up...until you move the switch from 'silicon diode' to 'tracking mode' and select 50 watts.

The replacement tube is on the way...

All of this was done using the Mesa Boogie Online Support Form system.

Yes this is correct. If you have a bad rec tube, you should remove all of them and use the silicon diode setting. Using the tube rec setting with a bad rectifier tube will blow the main fuse. Maybe even in diode setting if the bad tube is still in the amp.

Back