One 4x12 or two 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderJollyRoger

Reaction score
Hey there,

I think, the title says it all: recently, I have been playing with my Boogie 2x12 on top of my Hughes & Kettner oversized 4x12. After I have put new EL34's into my Dual Rectifier (which I think I like very much), I have been testing a bit back and forth and realized, without the 4x12, I have a much tighter bass response (obviously). I have also added my 1x12 Mini Rectifier cab just for fun, so I have been playing with a 3x12 basically ^^

I don't want to bash the H&K, but it's pretty obvious that the Mesa 2x12 is the better cabinet, at least for my purposes. I don't really play that much now, but nonetheless, I think I'll keep my eyes open for either a used Mesa 4x12 or another 2x12.

Has anyone experienced if adding a second 2x12 is basically the same as playing over the good old Mesa 4x12, or are there big differences, apart from the better portability of course. How's the bass response comparing between one or two 2x12 and the 4x12?

I don't really need to buy something, but if I do, I don't want to ask myself if I have made the right choice. Oh, and pardon me if this has been asked already, but I don't see a recent thread and I think it's relatively quiet here anyway, so that should be ok :)

Oversized cabs tend to make the low end loose, regardless of manufacturer, in my experience.

Back