Road king 2 cutting out.Foot switch maybe?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
Hi there,I just got to try a road king 2 that i am considering purchasing.Sounds great but there seemed to be an issue with what i think is the foot switch.Basiclally I was using channel 3 and the volume was at about 11 oclock and the amp started cutting out like a tremolo effect.At first I thought it was the guitar lead etc but all those worked fine.It sounded kind of like the amp was randomly switching.When i disconnected the foot switch it stopped and when i reconnected it,it started again.FX loop was in hard bypass,diodes,bold and 4 6L6's were selected.Now one of the pins of the cable looks slightly bent.Would this be causing the issue?The seller never had that issue before and said its working fine now.I suspect its the foot switch but want to be sure?Hes a mate and is in no way trying to trick me.Hes had it with no issues as he would have mentioned it before,as I only considered purchasing it today.Maybe somethign came loose when he moved it to the my house.Also one of the 6'L6's was slightly loose when we looked,when it happened the first time as we thought it was that.It happened again when the tube was properly seated.Any idea?Thanks for your time

I doubt it's the foot-switch unless the channel relays are stuck. I've never heard of the foot-switch causing any signal problems. Did the amp function ok when changing channels on the back of the amp via the rotary switch?

It could be a preamp tube. The only way to diagnose a preamp tube problem is to narrow it down really. Does it happen on a particular channel or setting? I'd check to see if the problem occurs in a particular mode or when a certain tube config is selected and see what happens. If not send boogie an email they will tell you what's up with.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Paul

Ya, once the footswitch was removed the amp worked grand.Straight away in fact.Hasnt given any trouble since either so all is good.I did message boogie on facebook and they said it sounds like the foot switch caused it.But I think the person on facebook is just there for promotion, more so than trouble shooting.Its been getting heavy use for 2 days now with no issues.Thanks for the reply.

Its the dIN connector that your footswitch plugs into on the amp. Same thing happened to my Dual Rectifier. Needed to have that connector re-seated and soldered to fix that issue.

NateFREHLEY said:
Its the dIN connector that your footswitch plugs into on the amp. Same thing happened to my Dual Rectifier. Needed to have that connector re-seated and soldered to fix that issue.
This is the connection part on the amp now and not the foot switch?

diddlydan said:
NateFREHLEY said:
This is the connection part on the amp now and not the foot switch?
That was someone's else's experience, that does not mean it is your problem.

I would get a new cable first.

Dom

I'm wondering what the foot-switch cable would have do with the amp cutting out? Surly the foot switch controls the relays inside the amp and wouldn't have anything to with the actual audio signal of the amp?

I've never had that experience before so I'm just trying to understand how that would the affect it actually cutting out?

I guess the switch could be going between tuner mute and say channel one,or going from channel one to another channel and back really fast.What makes me think it was the foot switch is the fact that it stopped instantly once the foot switch was removed.It also only happened at high volume.Maybe the amp was vibrating a bit as it was on top of the cab.Other than that i dont really know tbh.Ill post back if it happens again anyway,but its been fine ever since.Thanks for the help.

paulg2uk said:
I'm wondering what the foot-switch cable would have do with the amp cutting out? Surly the foot switch controls the relays inside the amp and wouldn't have anything to with the actual audio signal of the amp?

I've never had that experience before so I'm just trying to understand how that would the affect it actually cutting out?
A broken or almost broken connection in a din plug is not uncommon (I just had a MIDI cable do this to me), and would reek havoc on relay control as the footswitch does not directly control the relays, there are dozens of them with multiples switching together and in certain order. The stomp switch in the footswitch activates the switching control circuitry.

If this were my amp, I would try a new cable first, it is the cheapest and easiest thing to troubleshoot.

Dom

Latest posts

Back