The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RK2 Slave Out
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 pm 
Mark IV

It's my understanding that the Slave Out on the RoadKing is derived somehow from the output transformer. Is this correct? Thus being influenced by the power tubes? If I were to use the Slave Out into stereo effect, and then into a (high headroom) tube power amp, would this be a problem? If so, would it be possible to modify the slave out to take its feed from the FX loop return, so that no matter what channel/mode/tube harness I am using at the moment the stereo side of things sees only the preamp? Best to not worry about it and use a *gasp* SS power amp? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: RK2 Slave Out
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm 
Mark IV

Yeah, the Slave Out comes from a tap on the output transformer and it's after the power amp section.

You can run it into effects and into another amp, but a speaker load needs to be on one of the speaker jacks. A load box would be the way to do it without sound from the amp.

Instead of modifying the Slave Out you can turn on the Series Loop and go from Send to your FX input and then out to your power amp. This should mute the Road King. If it doesn't, turn Output all the way down. You don't get the RK power amp, but you don't have to buy a load box, either.

My Humble Music Tech Blog:
Dual Rectifier Index