RK2 Slave Out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoGlassNoClass

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the Slave Out on the RoadKing is derived somehow from the output transformer. Is this correct? Thus being influenced by the power tubes? If I were to use the Slave Out into stereo effect, and then into a (high headroom) tube power amp, would this be a problem? If so, would it be possible to modify the slave out to take its feed from the FX loop return, so that no matter what channel/mode/tube harness I am using at the moment the stereo side of things sees only the preamp? Best to not worry about it and use a *gasp* SS power amp? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, the Slave Out comes from a tap on the output transformer and it's after the power amp section.

You can run it into effects and into another amp, but a speaker load needs to be on one of the speaker jacks. A load box would be the way to do it without sound from the amp.

Instead of modifying the Slave Out you can turn on the Series Loop and go from Send to your FX input and then out to your power amp. This should mute the Road King. If it doesn't, turn Output all the way down. You don't get the RK power amp, but you don't have to buy a load box, either.

Thanks afu. Perhaps I could have been more clear in my original post as to what I am trying to accomplish. I have no intention of muting the RK2's power amp (it is a combo btw). Instead I am building a Mix/Dry/Mix setup. Same idea as typical w/d/w but the stereo mix cabs are the dominant factor, with the combo running dry to maintain clarity and punch when using wide stereo FX like dual delays etc.

I built a rig like this years ago with a Marshall 6100 as the dry and two JCM800 2203's as stereo power and it sounded fantastic. The Slave Out on the Mesa is a different animal than the Marshall's Line Out however. What I am getting at is, because the Slave signal is post-power amp, would using a (big) tube power amp for the stereo side be an issue? Too "tubey" if that's even a word?

So, I see my options as: use the Slave Out into a 2:90, 2:100, 9200, 2/90/2 or similar, or a healthy SS power amp if the RK2's influence is an issue. (Easiest if it works.)

Or take a split from one of the FX loop sends using a pedal with a "dry thru" or dual outputs to get the RK's preamp to my stereo FX without muting the RK power amp. ( maybe a better solution as the stereo amp can have it's own thing going, regardless of my choice of output tube combination in the RK)

OR modify the Slave Out. (Probably the ideal solution, provided it doesn't require re-engineering the whole amp) Seems like it should be a simple mod. I'm thinking disconnect the slave level pot, and jumper it to the FX send pot so they are in parallel. I know which end of a soldering iron to pick up, but this is a complex and expensive amp and I really don't want to experiment on it. Pot values if they need to be changed, impedance issues, other parts needed etc. Anyone with knowledge of this please chime in.

I realize the second and third options would limit my power amp choice to the 2:90 or 2:100 or similar, with a switchable "Modern" option so it tracks along with the RK volume-wise. Not really a bad thing, those are both killer amps.

By using the slave out, you will get more of the Mesa character coming out of your wet amp. Unless you are intentionally trying to get a different character (in addition to the effects) out of the wet amp, I don't see an issue. Only you can decide if the additional coloration from the wet amps is good, bad or just different tonally. The only advantage I can see to running it out of the FX loop. is the ability to cut signal to the wet amp entirely by just turning off the loop (if you use loop 1).

Latest posts

Back