New roadster 2x12 combo owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayB316

Reaction score
Picked up a roadster 2x12 combo and I was curious which of the mesa pedals would compliment this beast the best? Thanks guys!!

JayB316 said:
Picked up a roadster 2x12 combo and I was curious which of the mesa pedals would compliment this beast the best? Thanks guys!!
Welcome to the forum!

This all depends on what you're looking for. What kind of music do you play? More Rhythm or Lead? Clean or Metal LOL?

Dom

I'm strictly a rhythm player and primarily I play modern hard rock, alt rock like seether, chevelle and three days grace type of stuff

A very common setup is to use an overdrive pedal in front of the amp’s dirty channels to tighten the bottom end attack and add a bit of compression. The usual settings are gain zero or very low & output very high. The Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9 is very popular here, I prefer the Mesa Grid Slammer with the gain at about 9:00 and the output about 2:00, tone between 10:00-2:00.

Can’t go wrong with a good EQ like the MXR M108 10 band, and a delay and chorus are nice too.

Dom

I've got plans to grab a TC electronic corona chorus, I've got a 7band eq pedal, will the eq sound best in the loop or out in front?

I just use a CAE boost to hit the front end harder when I need it, but I also use low to medium output pickups.

JayB316 said:
I've got plans to grab a TC electronic corona chorus, I've got a 7band eq pedal, will the eq sound best in the loop or out in front?
The EQ placement will be dependent on what you are trying to achieve. With the EQ out front, you’ll be shaping your guitar’s character, with the dirty channels it will help to sculpt your distortion’s ‘personality’ more than overall tone. In the loop it will be more of a tone shaper, and wiil help shape your overall sound.

Is this the Boss GE-7? If so, I find that pedal to not be the best in the FX loop. It tends to clip and get noisy. Same thing for the Boss delays, my DD-6 cannot handle the hot professional level of the FX loop.

Speaking of FX loop levels, don’t set the channel masters too high, they determine the signal level sent to the FX loop. This is explained in the amp’s owner’s manual. If you didn’t get one with the amp, I highly recommended you go download one from Mesa’s website. It does a great job of explaining all the features of the amp.

Dom

Back