Tremoverb Tube Socket Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaosrecords

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just purchased a 1996 Tremoverb head from Reverb.com.
I got the amp today, and the tubes were removed for shipment.

When I started to put the first tube in, I found that the base of the tube hit the chassis before the pins reached the sockets.
I'm wondering something. Are the tube sockets supposed to be flush with the ports on the chassis?
Because the way it is now, there is no way a tube would fit in the hole. And the sockets are at least 3\4 of an inch below the ports in the chassis.

I'm trying to figure out if I was shipped a damaged amplifier, if so I'll have to return it.

If I am understanding correctly the tube socket on mine and every other amp I have ever seen the sockets are about the same. I've never seen any amp where the socket is below the frame.

Go look at photos of Tremoverbs.

chaosrecords said:
Hello all,

I just purchased a 1996 Tremoverb head from Reverb.com.
I got the amp today, and the tubes were removed for shipment.

When I started to put the first tube in, I found that the base of the tube hit the chassis before the pins reached the sockets.
I'm wondering something. Are the tube sockets supposed to be flush with the ports on the chassis?
Because the way it is now, there is no way a tube would fit in the hole. And the sockets are at least 3\4 of an inch below the ports in the chassis.

I'm trying to figure out if I was shipped a damaged amplifier, if so I'll have to return it.
Are you talking about the preamp tubes? Yes, those sockets are recessed, but I've never seen a 12AX7 that wouldn't fit through the hole in the chassis. Are you sure you have the pins lined up properly?

Dom

I understand the need for asking that question, but yes of course I have everything lined up properly. I have owned 6 other Mesa amps and never seen an issue like this.

Lining up the pins is not part of the equation at this point though, because the base of the tube hits the chassis before the pins even get near the socket.
The holes in the chassis are not large enough to fit a tube though, and I have tried about 60 at this point (I have a very large stock of NOS and modern tubes).

stephen sawall said:
If I am understanding correctly the tube socket on mine and every other amp I have ever seen the sockets are about the same. I've never seen any amp where the socket is below the frame.

Go look at photos of Tremoverbs.

Check it out.

uc

uc

Definitely doesn't look right. Here is another 1996 one:[url https://www.gbase.com/gear/mesa-boogie-dual-rectifier-trem-o-verb-head-1996-black[/url]

It seems that the board itself has moved inside the amp? Are those plastic pcb holders locked correctly?

Latest posts

Back