Road King II Footswitch confusion, please help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod#S

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, new user here and my 1st post. I have an opportunity to buy a Road King II, I believe it's the latest incarnation as it has the 4 reverb controls placed separately in each of the individual channel groups on the back. It has the Tuner Out and Ext Mute labels on the back and it comes with a 9 in-line button controller with the 6th button saying Tuner Mute and the controller name is King Kontroller 2-t.

I was looking at the Boogie parts website and saw 3 controllers there, two different 9 in a row types for serial #'s 1 to 2147 then from 2148 to 2647 and finally a 2 tiered button controller for serial #'s 2648 and beyond. The Boogie website indicates the controller for the earliest amps as having the 6th button say Tuner Mute however the name on those is just King Controller. The controller for serial #'s 2148 to 2647 says Ext-Trig with the name King Kontroller II. So technically the controller for the amp for sale doesn't exactly match either of the 9 in a row versions on the Boogie parts website. Could someone explain what's going on with the various footswitches and why the one with the amp for sale isn't listed on the Boogie website? I understand there were 3 versions of the amps as I see 3 different manuals on the Boogie website, Road King, Road King II Version 1 and Road King II Version 2 but none show their respective foot controllers. The serial number of the amp for sale is in the 4000's.

It would be nice if I could get the two tiered footswitch on the Boogie parts website as it says it's for serial #'s 2648 and beyond but I'm not sure it will work.

Thanks

Yeah obviously :)

It was confusing as to why the one that came with the amp for sale which I since purchased had a footswitch which wasn't listed on the official parts website. I did reach out to Boogie and basically what happened is that during the latter stages of the Road King's life Boogie changed the format of their switches and that included the Road King switch so the 2 tiered switch is a 1:1 replacement for the King Kontroller 2-t which was taken out of production.

I have no idea. Pretty sure mine is a RKII V2 but came with the long switch. I honestly like the idea of the shorter board and would consider getting one and saving the original as a backup

Same thing for the Roadster, huge controller that they redesigned to a two tier compact footswitch. If it wasn't $140 for the latest design I would already have one to replace the stock log footswitch. I will still get one someday anyway for the convenience and space savings.

Yeah the size of these things is comical in a way. The reference to a log is very fitting.

In comparison I really like the switch for my JP-2 for it's relatively compact size. Like you mention it's to bad the new design of the footswitches are so pricey. I do like the direction Boogie is going with it's new amps by including midi switching, so much more convenient. For the Road King alone if I were to not use the footswitch but wanted control of all switchable functions I would need to add a new GCX switcher to the rack and even then I still couldn't switch one of the functions :) as they only have 8 loops.

Perhaps you may know the answer to this. I didn't pick up on it initially but the buttons for channels 1 to 4 are different than those used for the other 5 switching functions. They are smaller and don't have the typical click sound when pushed. Any idea why that is and is it the same for the Roadster?

I did notice the buttons were different for the Roadster also. I don't know why, but they are. They are much easier on bare feet that is for sure!

V3 said:
I did notice the buttons were different for the Roadster also. I don't know why, but they are. They are much easier on bare feet that is for sure!
I have some of these for my acoustic board, that's the only time I play barefoot lately.
https://barefootbuttons.com/

silentbob said:
V3 said:
I have some of these for my acoustic board, that's the only time I play barefoot lately.
https://barefootbuttons.com/

I actually bought a bunch of these last year for Black Friday and I love them! My Stiletto footswitch was killing me barefoot.

RK 1 ext. trigger
RKII V1 ext. trigger
RK II V2 Tuner/mute

Mesa found out that people weren't using the trigger function all that much and replaced the function with tuner/mute in the V2 version much akin to the Roadster. Easy way to find out what version you're looking at is by said serial number or looking on the rear panel for Tuner out. There are 2 variants of the the King Kontroller II foot switches. Both look identical with exception to the ext. Trigger vs. Tuner/mute. The Mesa Store Road King II-B is a redesign and better laid out version of the King Controller II. More compact and sensibly organized.

Latest posts

Back