Mono vs. Stereo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixthview

Reaction score
I currently have a choice in front of me. My budget (mom's life insurance) has allowed me to be able to purchase new equipment, and stuff that I'd probably never be able to buy otherwise with two college bound kids.

Now, I must say that I think I had found my amp in the TC-100 when it is finally out in mainstream. I am going to compliment this with a nice 2x12 slant and a helix. But then as I was showing my wife, she said, "well why aren't you going to do a stereo rig?" And that threw me in a tail spin. Because really, I could swing it and I would end up doing 2 2x12's each with a rec25 powering them. Route both through the Helix for those nice stereo effects.

But I keep coming back to space (I'm currently cutting down from a 4x12 to a 2x12 to save some), and is it really necessary for me in my den?

What do you all think? Is stereo really THAT worth it?

I don't think it's worth it but if you have two amps and the space, it's a cool thing to have. It sounds awesome when you hear the full spread of your guitar with full stereo effects.
For your situation, the 2x12 cabs would cut down on your space. Of course that depends on how far apart you place those cabs. I would place the amps on top of each other and flank the cabs on each side. That should give you enough spread and keep the floor space, but then you're getting into aesthetics.

I used to run a stereo rig years ago, but it was more of a hassle in a live situation. Most PAs are run in mono, so the only one getting the stereo experience was me. Lol. It was a Mesa Quad preamp, into Stereo 295 power amp, into either a stereo 4x12 or two 4x12 cabs. I still use it but don't have the room to setup a wall of speaker cabs. :mrgreen:

Stereo rigs are cool, but I generally prefer the immediacy that comes with running a rig in mono.

If you're the kind of guy that likes to have long delays ping-ponging back and forth then you'll probably dig stereo. If you're more straight ahead and just want a really aggressive sound you'll probably prefer mono.

You don't need matching rigs, any amp and speaker will do. Just balance it with the volume.

Why not just go full on w/d/w?
Panama makes some relatively cheap 112s with vintage 30 soundalike speakers, and they work well as wet cabs. Get a stereo power amp (50W per side?) and use the helix for stereo effects, with your choice of amp powering the center dry cabs. Mesa amps have the slave output, so use that to feed the helix for effects.

This is essentially my setup, except instead of helix, I have a mixer setup with eventude and lexicon for the post amp stuff, and some pedals for pregain OD/dynamics stuff.

I love playing in stereo!
I have an old Rivera S120 stereo combo amp that sounds incredible.
I use an Axe FX XL with it, but for FX only.
I sing and play in a 3 piece, so every little bit of extra sound helps a lot.

A good, cheap option would be to find an old Simil Satellite to use on the other side of the room.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mesa+boogie+simul+satellite&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
It's basically a Mark IV companion amp that has a volume, some tone knobs and a Graphic EQ.
You could use the TC for the tones and send the Right signal out from the Helix to the Satellite.

I haven't tried W/D/W yet, but I probably should........

Buy your basic rig first (I'm assuming new since you're looking at TC-100) and when you're sure you want stereo buy later on as second hand gear. Stereo may not be the 'be all, end all' after the honeymoon period.

You should buy the amp you want as the main amp first. You mention two amps - TC100 and Rec25. These are very different amps. Don't buy a Rec25 if your heart is set on the TC-100 all because of 'stereo'. You'd be banging your head (and not with the music) if you wanted a TC-100 all along.

If you had to answer in 3 seconds "What amp would you prefer?", what would you say?

If it was me, I'd buy the amp I want (or need) and then progress from there. Nothing worse than having buyers remorse and losing a heap of $$ just to buy what you really wanted later on.

-B

Stereo rigs are cool. They really spread out the sound and can give you a lot of options if you go wet/dry. Stereo setups tend to work best if you're the only guitar player in a small band. Live the sound guy can mic up each rig and split you left and right through the PA. However, if you play with another guitar player it's kind of overkill and not really worth it. I use both types of set-ups depending on the situation.

Latest posts

Back