Parallel to series fx loop mod: question about master volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DS-1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've bought in 2001 a used Triple Recto that already had the fx loop mod, so I've basically always used my head with series loop.

My head has fx loop button on the footswitch that doesn't work (and I know that this issue is because of the series mod) AND also the master volume and solo volume that doesn't work if loop is bypassed (from the back panel rotary switch).

A couple of days ago I've tried a Dual recto (2003) that had parallel loop and master volume and solo worked with fx loop bypassed (from the back panel rotary switch).

Now the question:

is my master volume and solo volume not working with fx loop bypassed because of the fx loop series mod?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

EDIT: I asked a wrong question. I realized that master and solo don't work with loop bypassed.

The real question is: do solo and master work with loop on and no cable between send and return?

I have mid/late 2000's Triple with stock parallel FX loop. When it's hard bypassed the Output and SOLO knobs do not work. They're completely out of circuit. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question (entirely possible lol)?

dtrax said:
I have mid/late 2000's Triple with stock parallel FX loop. When it's hard bypassed the Output and SOLO knobs do not work. They're completely out of circuit. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question (entirely possible lol)?

Ok, I'm stupid, it's not your problem :lol: :mrgreen:

With loop bypassed obviously solo and master don't work.

I wanted to say: with loop on and no cable between send and return, do solo and master work? :mrgreen:

I modded my loop to serial by connecting the return and output wires from the mix pot together. The dry wire is not connected. This bypasses the mix pot and removes the dry signal completely. This means if the loop is on, something needs to be connected between the send and return jacks or you'd get no sound. In that case you'd need a short patch cable plugged in if not using effects and wanted to use the output and solo controls.

JSutter said:
I modded my loop to serial by connecting the return and output wires from the mix pot together. The dry wire is not connected. This bypasses the mix pot and removes the dry signal completely. This means if the loop is on, something needs to be connected between the send and return jacks or you'd get no sound. In that case you'd need a short patch cable plugged in if not using effects and wanted to use the output and solo controls.

My head was modded by removing only one wire from MIX pot.

Do you think the two mods are similar?

Now the pedals sound right with the loop modded, but I don't like how the head sounds with loop on!

Your amp probably had the dry signal wire removed. Does the mix knob change anything when it is turned?

So many users dislike the loop circuit and leave it bypassed. They say it kills the tone.

JSutter said:
Your amp probably had the dry signal wire removed. Does the mix knob change anything when it is turned?

So many users dislike the loop circuit and leave it bypassed. They say it kills the tone.

No, nothing changes if I move the mix knob.

What I wanted to know is: does a different serial loop mod sound "better" than the mod I have? (Mine is the one with the dry signal wire removed).

I really love the tone of my Recto leaving the loop circuit bypassed. But unfortunately I need it because of the modulation effect I use (expecially for delay) that sound really bad in front of the amp.

The mod at warpedmusician needs something in the loop all of the time, but it sounds great. Solo and Output still work with it, but the Loop switch kills the sound. Getting the pot completely out of the way is the way to go. Put a jumper on the track. Easy.

That's my blog, so I'm biased, but I stand behind it.

afu said:
The mod at warpedmusician needs something in the loop all of the time, but it sounds great. Solo and Output still work with it, but the Loop switch kills the sound. Getting the pot completely out of the way is the way to go. Put a jumper on the track. Easy.

That's my blog, so I'm biased, but I stand behind it.

Thanks!

Actually I have a serial mod in my Rectifier done by removing only one wire from MIX pot.

Does my mod sound the same as the One in Warpedmusician blog? I'm happy that this mod makes my pedals sound good, but I think that this is a 100% trasparency mod.

With my mod, the loop switch in the pedal doesn't kill the sound.

Resurrecting this post:

There is a procedure per mesa to mod the older 2 channel dual and triple rec/temoverbs:
It involves replacing the FX return jack with a 12a Switchcraft jack, and then moving the red wire from the mix pot to the new jack along with jumping a brown wire on the send pot to the new return pot. The footswitch to turn the fx loop on / off will still function (only on 2 channel versions). Just wondering if anyone has actually done it this "correct" way. TIA I will be performing this mod soon and am looking for any pics of this exact mod if pics exist anywhere.

Latest posts

Back