Road King. Tremolo like volume fluctuations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp22684

Reaction score
Hey!

This bugger is getting me again. New tubes. Lots of them. And different sets, being that one set from Eurotubes kept blowing up. Mesa tubes now. No problems for a little over a month of extreme heavy use.

So we played at wings stadium during Kalamazoo's beer festival and the setup stage was a bit bouncy. One of those portable stages you can REALLY feel the bass amp and kick on. We set our subs on the ground in front of the stage and the mains to the sides off stage; so that wasn't contributing to the bounce at all.

Anyways, the amp volume was jumping up and down rapidly as though I had a tremolo effect going. It seemed to be doing this with the beat for the most part.

I took my amp stand and set it in the covering for my mixers rack and also had a folded towel under that to try and create some sort of shock absorption. And you could rock it pretty good, to the point I backed it up to our lighting rack stands and mixer rack just in case it decided to tip back! So I can't imagine much from the stage was making it's way to the amp at that point.

Yet it still seemed to jump in volume quite a bit.

Did a full day of lessons yesterday without issue.

Switched all channels to diode just in case it happened to be the rectifier tubes, didn't resolve the issue.

Thoughts?

Road King 1 combo

Just chiming in cause I just grabbed a used RK MK1 and I’m experiencing the same thing. I’ve only had it a week now but was worried a re tube was needed, but from the sounds of it that might not do the trick.

caseyshallcross said:
Just chiming in cause I just grabbed a used RK MK1 and I’m experiencing the same thing. I’ve only had it a week now but was worried a re tube was needed, but from the sounds of it that might not do the trick.

Russian preamp tubes in certain positions can cause volume fluctuations. There is a Mesa Service Bulletin about it.

Read more here:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25102&start=19

Latest posts

Back