Mesa Maverick Dead, no lights

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digijohnson

Reaction score
Hey folks, new member here with an issue i can't find any info on. Hopefully this is the right sub; mods feel free to move this if theres a better sub for this question. Ive got a Mesa Maverick that was supposedly tuned up at their headquarters a couple years ago. No idea what they actually did though. I was playing a rhodes at low volume through it via a di last night, and every so often the power light would flicker and make a noise through the speakers. It wasnt bad and I'm used to old amps having character like this so I kept playing, and then the power light went out for good and the amp is silent. The fuse is good (confirmed with a meter) and the big tube on the left (rectifier tube?) does heat up when on standby. None of the other tubes come on though. Ive tried swapping each of the EL84s to no success. I can't imagine it would be any of the harder to reach 12ax7s but i can check there soon. Any ideas what could have caused this? Did I kill it with the rhodes? Thanks in advance for any help. If it would help, i might have recorded the sound it made when it died and i could post it.

Hi and welcome to forum :D...

My idea would be to test without rectifier tube in diode mode. If i recall correctly that should be safe to do (at least in Dual recto...)

So take the recto tube off, switch to diodes and power up again to check if that is the culprit.. but others may chime in

Check the molex connector inside and clean it up. There is a MOV (metal oxide varistor) inline with the phase from the power grid that could be damaged. If the pilot lamp is off i'd check the molex connector. and take it from there. The tube rectifier could be damaged and still heat up. I've had some Chinese VOX AC30 with the similar symptom: Cracks and pops/weird noises and then complete shut off. Consider a new tube rectifier as a possible solution.

Latest posts

Back