Triple Rectifier lacks punch after playing a while.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoHo

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm in a pickle.

I recently swapped all the tubes on my triple and it has been working great. At first.

It has been playing for a couple of rehersals (and it might have lost tone after a while even back then, but i didnt take much notice because the amp was in another room and we use headphones)

I took a Buddy of mine to help med dial in the new tone with the new tubes and after an hour or two with tweaking (only amp, No OD or pedals connected, No headphones. Only amp, 4x12 Marshall cab and my guitar) we found a kickass tone.
The amp was on stand-by and i disconnected the cable to the footswitch, and put in a jack in the fx loop (send i Think) and didnt connect it to anything because we wanted to hear it one last time before using my pedalboard ect.
Suddenly the amp has lost all punch and we had to totally re-tweak it (set gain waaay higher) to get a half-decent tone out of it.

I panicked.

We turned it off. Let it cool down for a couple of minutes and tried again.

Same problem.

We tried his amp with my guitar ect to see if we could troubleshoot and that worked perfectly, so it is definately my amp that is the problem.

Do anyone have some wisdom to share?

I Will post a pic of the tubes it has now instead of the standard (i Think) Mesa tubes

Does this happen on all channels? Or just the overdrive channel(s)? Sounds like a bad preamp tube. If your clean channel is fine, I'd guess it's V2 or V3. Who knows though. Just cycle through them, one at a time, with a tube that's known to be working properly. I suspect a preamp tube because you had to increase the gain - which leads me to believe you lost saturation, not volume per say.

Is your amp an older 2 channel, a 2000's 3 channel or a Reborn? I ask because the FX loop on the 2000's era Rectos is parallel, the others being serial. But either way, the FX send level only should affect volume, not "gain" (as in saturation). Unless you're cranking the channel master and distorting the PI.

Good luck.

deeman said:
Is the FX send level turned down?
- No sir. We took out the cable again, and we didnt touch anything on the back of the amp.

It happens on all channels. Saturation is the word I'm looking for! That is what it has lost all of a sudden.

I Think its a 2000's. It has 3 channels. It doesnt say Reborn on the front.
The amp is 140 kilometers away right now, so i cant check, but i -Think- it has parallel loops if i remember correctly.

I Will try switching tubes.

Thanks for the wisdom.

JoHo said:
deeman said:
Is the FX send level turned down?
- No sir. We took out the cable again, and we didnt touch anything on the back of the amp.

It happens on all channels. Saturation is the word I'm looking for! That is what it has lost all of a sudden.

I Think its a 2000's. It has 3 channels. It doesnt say Reborn on the front.
The amp is 140 kilometers away right now, so i cant check, but i -Think- it has parallel loops if i remember correctly.

I Will try switching tubes.

Thanks for the wisdom.

It happens on all channels, so it may be V1 or the PI.

Back