The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm 
Mark II

I've been considering grabbing a Roadster to dedicate to my home studio. Basically what I'm looking for, that I can't really get from my TR, is a nice medium gain crunch tone - while having 2 channels for high gain (orange/red). Pushed mode on my TR is just too hazy/midrangey for my tastes. I dig Orange/Raw for these tones, but again, I lose the 2nd high gain channel.

So, about the Roadster. How are CH1/CH2 tweed and brit modes? Comparable to Orange/Raw for mid-gain crunch? The tone I'm looking for is basically the opposite of Green/Pushed; something with nice high-mid bite yet a bit scooped.

For reference, my recto is from mid 2000's (serial R-0369XX). I use EMG's primarily, and a stock SD-1 as a boost (mostly for the high gain stuff).

Triple Recto 3CH (modded), Studio Preamp (MK2C+ mods), 2x12 Recto Vertical cab
Past:
Mark V head, Rectoverb series 2 combo, F-30 combo, V-Twin rack pre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:04 pm 
Mark II

https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/r ... -roadster/

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 am 
Mark II

donnyboiler wrote:
https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/review-mesaboogie-dual-rectifier-roadster/

Hope this helps

Wow, excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize Roadsters had a 50watt power option either. Definitely nice for my purposes. Wish I could demo one, but no shops in my area have any. :cry: Just gotta bite the bullet and grab one!

Past:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 pm 
Triple Recto

Tweed has to be one of my favorite voices. Also love the spongy feel I get in sponge (variac power mode) and running Tube rectifiers vs silicon diodes.

Great review on the Roadster, Don.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm 
Mark II

dtrax wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:
https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/review-mesaboogie-dual-rectifier-roadster/

Hope this helps

Wow, excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize Roadsters had a 50watt power option either. Definitely nice for my purposes. Wish I could demo one, but no shops in my area have any. :cry: Just gotta bite the bullet and grab one!

I actually bought my Road King in West Chester, they didn't have much of a selection and I think this one sat there for a couple years before I scooped it up.

I love the tweed setting and use it more often than you would expect in my 90s band. I do have the gain set pretty high and hitting it with a clean boost definitely takes it into Plexi territory. I'd love to have tweed available on at least one other channel, so I could use one pretty clean and one cranked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 am 
Mark II

silentbob wrote:
dtrax wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:

Hope this helps

I actually bought my Road King in West Chester, they didn't have much of a selection and I think this one sat there for a couple years before I scooped it up.

I love the tweed setting and use it more often than you would expect in my 90s band. I do have the gain set pretty high and hitting it with a clean boost definitely takes it into Plexi territory. I'd love to have tweed available on at least one other channel, so I could use one pretty clean and one cranked.

I was in WC Music was this past winter when I picked up a 2x12 vertical cab. It looked empty in there. :cry: They used to have quite a selection of Mesa heads/combos/cabs. Not the case anymore. They're a good shop, hope they don't close up.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'm really leaning toward getting a Roadster. I has everything I want in an amp!

Past:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm 
Mark II

dtrax wrote:

I was in WC Music was this past winter when I picked up a 2x12 vertical cab. It looked empty in there. :cry: They used to have quite a selection of Mesa heads/combos/cabs. Not the case anymore. They're a good shop, hope they don't close up.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'm really leaning toward getting a Roadster. I has everything I want in an amp!

I never would have sold mine but a buddy borrowed it and really wanted to buy it. I splurged on the Road King, but I would have been happy with the Roadster forever. If you're in Harrisburg, let me know and you can demo my Road King.