The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm 
Offline
Mark II
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 am
Posts: 74
Location: West Chester, PA
I've been considering grabbing a Roadster to dedicate to my home studio. Basically what I'm looking for, that I can't really get from my TR, is a nice medium gain crunch tone - while having 2 channels for high gain (orange/red). Pushed mode on my TR is just too hazy/midrangey for my tastes. I dig Orange/Raw for these tones, but again, I lose the 2nd high gain channel.

So, about the Roadster. How are CH1/CH2 tweed and brit modes? Comparable to Orange/Raw for mid-gain crunch? The tone I'm looking for is basically the opposite of Green/Pushed; something with nice high-mid bite yet a bit scooped.

For reference, my recto is from mid 2000's (serial R-0369XX). I use EMG's primarily, and a stock SD-1 as a boost (mostly for the high gain stuff).

_________________
Guitars:
Ibanez '98 RG7620 (EMG 81-7H, 60-7H)
Amps:
Triple Recto 3CH (modded), Studio Preamp (MK2C+ mods), 2x12 Recto Vertical cab
Past:
Mark V head, Rectoverb series 2 combo, F-30 combo, V-Twin rack pre


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:04 pm 
Offline
Mark II
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 am
Posts: 78
https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/r ... -roadster/

Hope this helps

_________________
www.donstickguitar.net


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 am 
Offline
Mark II
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 am
Posts: 74
Location: West Chester, PA
donnyboiler wrote:
https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/review-mesaboogie-dual-rectifier-roadster/

Hope this helps


Wow, excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize Roadsters had a 50watt power option either. Definitely nice for my purposes. Wish I could demo one, but no shops in my area have any. :cry: Just gotta bite the bullet and grab one!

_________________
Guitars:
Ibanez '98 RG7620 (EMG 81-7H, 60-7H)
Amps:
Triple Recto 3CH (modded), Studio Preamp (MK2C+ mods), 2x12 Recto Vertical cab
Past:
Mark V head, Rectoverb series 2 combo, F-30 combo, V-Twin rack pre


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline
Triple Recto

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 am
Posts: 3029
Location: North Carolina
Tweed has to be one of my favorite voices. Also love the spongy feel I get in sponge (variac power mode) and running Tube rectifiers vs silicon diodes.

Great review on the Roadster, Don.

_________________
Current amps: TC-100, TC-50, JP-2C, MK V, Roadster, RA100


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:09 pm
Posts: 66
dtrax wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:
https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/review-mesaboogie-dual-rectifier-roadster/

Hope this helps


Wow, excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize Roadsters had a 50watt power option either. Definitely nice for my purposes. Wish I could demo one, but no shops in my area have any. :cry: Just gotta bite the bullet and grab one!

I actually bought my Road King in West Chester, they didn't have much of a selection and I think this one sat there for a couple years before I scooped it up.

I love the tweed setting and use it more often than you would expect in my 90s band. I do have the gain set pretty high and hitting it with a clean boost definitely takes it into Plexi territory. I'd love to have tweed available on at least one other channel, so I could use one pretty clean and one cranked.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:01 am 
Offline
Mark II
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 am
Posts: 74
Location: West Chester, PA
silentbob wrote:
dtrax wrote:
donnyboiler wrote:
https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/review-mesaboogie-dual-rectifier-roadster/

Hope this helps


Wow, excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize Roadsters had a 50watt power option either. Definitely nice for my purposes. Wish I could demo one, but no shops in my area have any. :cry: Just gotta bite the bullet and grab one!

I actually bought my Road King in West Chester, they didn't have much of a selection and I think this one sat there for a couple years before I scooped it up.

I love the tweed setting and use it more often than you would expect in my 90s band. I do have the gain set pretty high and hitting it with a clean boost definitely takes it into Plexi territory. I'd love to have tweed available on at least one other channel, so I could use one pretty clean and one cranked.


I was in WC Music was this past winter when I picked up a 2x12 vertical cab. It looked empty in there. :cry: They used to have quite a selection of Mesa heads/combos/cabs. Not the case anymore. They're a good shop, hope they don't close up.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'm really leaning toward getting a Roadster. I has everything I want in an amp!

_________________
Guitars:
Ibanez '98 RG7620 (EMG 81-7H, 60-7H)
Amps:
Triple Recto 3CH (modded), Studio Preamp (MK2C+ mods), 2x12 Recto Vertical cab
Past:
Mark V head, Rectoverb series 2 combo, F-30 combo, V-Twin rack pre


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm 
Offline
Mark II

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:09 pm
Posts: 66
dtrax wrote:

I was in WC Music was this past winter when I picked up a 2x12 vertical cab. It looked empty in there. :cry: They used to have quite a selection of Mesa heads/combos/cabs. Not the case anymore. They're a good shop, hope they don't close up.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'm really leaning toward getting a Roadster. I has everything I want in an amp!

I never would have sold mine but a buddy borrowed it and really wanted to buy it. I splurged on the Road King, but I would have been happy with the Roadster forever. If you're in Harrisburg, let me know and you can demo my Road King.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group