Thinking about getting a Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtrax

Reaction score
I've been considering grabbing a Roadster to dedicate to my home studio. Basically what I'm looking for, that I can't really get from my TR, is a nice medium gain crunch tone - while having 2 channels for high gain (orange/red). Pushed mode on my TR is just too hazy/midrangey for my tastes. I dig Orange/Raw for these tones, but again, I lose the 2nd high gain channel.

So, about the Roadster. How are CH1/CH2 tweed and brit modes? Comparable to Orange/Raw for mid-gain crunch? The tone I'm looking for is basically the opposite of Green/Pushed; something with nice high-mid bite yet a bit scooped.

For reference, my recto is from mid 2000's (serial R-0369XX). I use EMG's primarily, and a stock SD-1 as a boost (mostly for the high gain stuff).

https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/review-mesaboogie-dual-rectifier-roadster/

Hope this helps

donnyboiler said:
https://donstickguitar.net/2016/05/06/review-mesaboogie-dual-rectifier-roadster/

Hope this helps

Wow, excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize Roadsters had a 50watt power option either. Definitely nice for my purposes. Wish I could demo one, but no shops in my area have any. :cry: Just gotta bite the bullet and grab one!

Tweed has to be one of my favorite voices. Also love the spongy feel I get in sponge (variac power mode) and running Tube rectifiers vs silicon diodes.

Great review on the Roadster, Don.

dtrax said:
donnyboiler said:

Hope this helps

Wow, excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize Roadsters had a 50watt power option either. Definitely nice for my purposes. Wish I could demo one, but no shops in my area have any. :cry: Just gotta bite the bullet and grab one!
I actually bought my Road King in West Chester, they didn't have much of a selection and I think this one sat there for a couple years before I scooped it up.

I love the tweed setting and use it more often than you would expect in my 90s band. I do have the gain set pretty high and hitting it with a clean boost definitely takes it into Plexi territory. I'd love to have tweed available on at least one other channel, so I could use one pretty clean and one cranked.

silentbob said:
dtrax said:
donnyboiler said:

Hope this helps

I actually bought my Road King in West Chester, they didn't have much of a selection and I think this one sat there for a couple years before I scooped it up.

I love the tweed setting and use it more often than you would expect in my 90s band. I do have the gain set pretty high and hitting it with a clean boost definitely takes it into Plexi territory. I'd love to have tweed available on at least one other channel, so I could use one pretty clean and one cranked.

I was in WC Music was this past winter when I picked up a 2x12 vertical cab. It looked empty in there. :cry: They used to have quite a selection of Mesa heads/combos/cabs. Not the case anymore. They're a good shop, hope they don't close up.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'm really leaning toward getting a Roadster. I has everything I want in an amp!

dtrax said:
I was in WC Music was this past winter when I picked up a 2x12 vertical cab. It looked empty in there. :cry: They used to have quite a selection of Mesa heads/combos/cabs. Not the case anymore. They're a good shop, hope they don't close up.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'm really leaning toward getting a Roadster. I has everything I want in an amp!
I never would have sold mine but a buddy borrowed it and really wanted to buy it. I splurged on the Road King, but I would have been happy with the Roadster forever. If you're in Harrisburg, let me know and you can demo my Road King.

Back