Stupid question: Can I run Road King 1 without Recto Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp22684

Reaction score
One of them is rattling pretty badly and mic's picking it up.

I searched around and see a few answers, but none specific to the Road King 1.

Anyways, I was wondering if I leave it on Diode if I could pull the 5U4GBs that are in there. I understand, via reading the manual, that there would be specific tube combinations I would be unable to use. I would need to find out what those are again. I think the manual said something about which combinations would need the Rectifier tubes.

I thought about just pulling them, but doesn't hurt to ask first.

Thanks!!

Side note: I do plan on replacing them, but often find myself preferring the Diodes + Bold settings. If I have a couple less tubes to worry about that would be nice as well. I could live without.

Again, I am very new to Mesa Boogie. This amp looks like its been around the block a few times and is giving me a few issues. Trying to tackle one at a time. New power and preamp tubes have already gone in. Caused a LOT of crackling after a week. One of the new tubes blew up, JJ EL34II, and took the fuse with it. New tube is on the way.... OYE!

One of the 5U4 lights is always on; regardless of channel, diode switch, tube selection.

back to the manual, could this be a feature of the amp to indicate a bad rectifier tube?

Back