Rectoverb 50: Touchy Output Pot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey D.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Had a quick question for any knowledgable folks out there. I have a Rectoverb 50 Series I and I've found the taper on the output knob to be far more touchy than any other Mesa I've owned. It's not an issue during the day or at practice but for any nighttime playing, one over-pressured nudge on the output knob goes from whisper to roar with seemingly no middle-ground. This is not an issue on my Series II Single Rectifier. I've taken a look (as best I'm able) at the schematics between series I and II and noticed an extra resistor+cap coming off the plate of V4b near the output pot on the series II, but not much else. Anyone else have this issue? Something I'll just have to work around?

Thanks!

I'd simply work around it by turning down the channel masters.

That's fair. The master on channel 2 is set pretty conservatively usually around 11 or so, but it could stand to go lower. Master on channel 1 is pretty high for extra grit. I did also make a shorted cable for the effects loop which lowers the output before the last half of v4, but it does choke the gain on channel 1 a fair bit. The shorted cable works really well for taming the output jumps on channel 2 however. Nature of the Mesa beast I suppose, adjusting something at one point will impact something else down the line.

Latest posts

Back