Reborn Dual Recs - Less gain on tap than the originals?

Discussion area for Single, Dual and Trip Rectifers

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Mattayus
Bottle Rocket

Reborn Dual Recs - Less gain on tap than the originals?

Post by Mattayus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:55 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. Should have signed up a long old time ago really as I've been a Mesa user for years...

Anyway, I've owned and played several pre-Reborn Dual and Triple rectifiers. In 2014 I bought a reborn Dual Rectifier, and it's by far my favourite amp I've ever owned.

However, I've always felt that it simply doesn't have the gain available that the previous models did. I know there's no issues with the amp, it's been fully serviced, and both the pre and power section have been revalved in the time I've owned it. So I know there are no "problems" per se, it just feels much less saturated than the previous models.

Has anybody else found this to be the case?

And, btw, when I say "not as much gain", there's still plenty. But to give an example, a friend's triple rec has MORE than enough gain (to the point where it's almost unusable and turning to mush) at around 12-1 o'clock. It's better off rolled off from there, and then boosted. My reborn Dual doesn't get saturated enough until it's at about 2 o'clock AND boosted.

Many thanks!
http://www.numbskullaudio.com - Mixing | Mastering | Editing | Reamping | Gear Demos

Nomad100
Mark II

Re: Reborn Dual Recs - Less gain on tap than the originals?

Post by Nomad100 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Welcome to the forum. I don't post a lot myself, but am always here reading.

I own both a Reborn Dual and a Reborn Triple Rectifier. They are some of the best sounding amps on the planet. I use the Dual for gigging and the Triple with EL34's for recording.

My ears tell me that the new multi-watt Rectos are a little brighter and clearer than the older 3 channel amps. This makes them seem like they have less gain, but I think they are very close, if not the same gain wise to the early 2000's amps I've played.

Mattayus
Bottle Rocket

Re: Reborn Dual Recs - Less gain on tap than the originals?

Post by Mattayus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:01 pm

They're certainly brighter and clearer! The biggest difference for me was the fact that the presence knob is actually very usable beyond 12 o'clock :lol: I actually run mine at around 1-2o'clock, no harshness. The previous models I had to keep it around 9 o'clock otherwise it was just insane.
http://www.numbskullaudio.com - Mixing | Mastering | Editing | Reamping | Gear Demos