Maverick Restoration Progress: DONE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
Well, thanks to Trent at Mesa Boogie, I was easily able to get the parts needed to get my Maverick 2x12 back to being the way it should be. I got new sticky foil for the top, new foam rubber, and some other bits and bobs that were needed.

The Grill, as far as I can tell, is not the original grill for this Maverick combo shell. It definitely does appear to be a Mesa Boogie grill, and matches other Maverick grills I have seen, so I would guess that some swapping happened a while ago. The grill I have was screwed in from the back, but the cabinet definitely had a grill screwed in from the front. Well, I fixed that by drilling the screw holes through on the combo, and screwing the grill in from the back. I had to take out the reverb tank for that, and noticed that some 212 Mavericks have it on the left, and some on the right.

maverick16.jpg

I had to make some new screw holes in the grille to match the cabinet.

maverick17.jpg

Now the grille is seated, and ready to screw in. Thankfully I have a long reach No.2 Phillips driver, which makes it VERY easy to screw in while holding the grill flush.

maverick18.jpg

Next up is the catastrophe of the shielding.

maverick19.jpg

This shows how far it was pulled off by previous owner(s). This also involved pulling it past all of the staples as well, and it tore around the anchors for the handle.

maverick20.jpg

This is the leftovers after I pulled off all of the torn aluminum.

maverick21.jpg

And now time for the new sheeting.

maverick22.jpg

Installed, and stapled down using my trusty Arrow t-50 and 1/4 staples. The wood of the cabinet is HARD, so some light hammering was required.

maverick23.jpg

And the last touch, the foam rubber.

maverick24.jpg

After that, re-installed the bushings for the handle, put the handle back on, put the reverb tank back in, and then turned my attention to the chassis. The only real issue is that one of the clips for the preamp tube shield cracked. How the hell they did that, I have no idea. They are nylon and should be invincible. But, given that the entire shielding was torn off, previous owners were not gentle. I managed to get the shield off completely, which makes gluing a lot easier.

maverick25.jpg

I got some Plastic Bonding Acrylic Epoxy from the hardware store, and it actually is pretty much the same color as the clips. I mixed up a small amount, and put it on the broken area. The new glue joint is FAR LARGER than small area that broke. If the glue sticks, I don't anticipate ever having an issue with this again.

maverick26.jpg

All that is left to do is decide what preamp tubes to put in, and then I can put it back together, and install the purple/blue amp jewel I picked up.

AND DONE! The grill really does fit snugly. I had to take it back off to get the chassis in, but now it's SOLID. I also changed to a purple power jewel. I think it looks pretty good. Also SOUNDS pretty good. I've kept the JJ tubes in it for now, but soon I can see myself putting some old production tubes in it to see how it reacts.

maverick27.jpg

Nice job. It's definitely a unique specimen with the black tolex and the Mesa/Boogie badge (as opposed to the blond tolex and the Mesa Engineering badge). I opted for an amber jewel on mine to make it even blonder :)

green_henry said:
Nice job. It's definitely a unique specimen with the black tolex and the Mesa/Boogie badge (as opposed to the blond tolex and the Mesa Engineering badge). I opted for an amber jewel on mine to make it even blonder :)
I've also got a blue Jewel as well. I have seen other Mavericks with black Taurus vinyl, but usually they have a black grill. I am pretty sure that the grill was not the original to this amp. Maybe someone had two and decided they wanted blonde with a black grill.

I just placed ANOTHER order for preamp tubes, so I'll see what kind of tubes work best in this beast. I definitely want to reduce or eliminate the JJ preamp tubes from the gain stages, as they definitely do make the amp darker sounding.

Latest posts

Back