Scored an AMAZING deal on a Roadster Dual Rectifier 2x12!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Today I was doing my usual rounds at the pawnshops looking for anything musical.

At one store I noticed a Boogie combo in the back.

I walked up and saw the asking price and my F'n jaw dropped.

I went straight to the sales clerk and asked if they could do better than the $405 asking price.

I told them I'd give them $400 out the door for it.

The girl talked to the Mgr and said the best they could do was $400 + tax. ($433 out the door)

Oh well, I guess $5 off the asking price isn't bad I guess.

A Dual Rectifier amp has NEVER been on my radar for amps, but at this price, I couldn't pass it up.

I will with 4 channels and a TON of switches for all the tonal options, it's going to be fun finding all the tones.

34749547752_e19df9afb8_b.jpg

34070022064_d7c513ca15_b.jpg

If the amp works, that would be a steal I would not be able to pass on. Considering how much it weighs, I would doubt the amp is stolen. but well, never know what you get with pawn shops these days. I paid $1700 for a used Mint RA100 Combo. I could have bought 4 Roadster combos for that.... if I shopped the same places you do... :shock:

bandit2013 said:
If the amp works, that would be a steal I would not be able to pass on. Considering how much it weighs, I would doubt the amp is stolen. but well, never know what you get with pawn shops these days. I paid $1700 for a used Mint RA100 Combo. I could have bought 4 Roadster combos for that.... if I shopped the same places you do... :shock:

I don't know about North Carolina, but in Deep South Texas, we just got the internet 2 yrs. ago. :mrgreen:

People are just learning how to use them.

They still don't know how to search the web for prices, so they base their asking price based on what they loaned.

It's a gearfest every week in these parts.

I'm running out of room to keep all my guitars.

I have that same problem here as far as space is concerned. Too much of everything. The whole house is a man cave at the moment. I still have more guitars than amps but the amp count is catching up.

As for local shops or not so local shops, nobody sells Mesa except for one place but they have a small selection as far as that goes and to boot they are 100 miles away :cry: I would have to drive to the other side of the state towards Ashville to find a dealer that may have more of a selection.

Sweetwater seems to be easier as I do not have to drive a long distance to get it. It comes to me.

As far as pawn shops, I would have to settle on crate, line6 or a $100 Fender mini amp that comes in a box with low cost fender strat made in china. Trust me, I have gone into many places even for drums, guitars, and amps. Nothing worth the asking price or even to haggle the price even it if it is for less than 50.

Too bad the Roadster is discontinued. At least I have one... wonder what will be coming next? To bad I may want it as I have more than I need already.

Trick to use to make that amp look like new (actually it appears in excellent shape). Turtle Wax ICE liquid synthetic wax. I use it on all of my amps as it does not leave any residue on the leather or vinyl covering, safe for plastics and painted surfaces. I even use it on my guitars too. Also helps with static reduction on the plastic pickguard of my super strats. Not sure if it is good with nitro finish though. All of my electric guitars are Carvins and they recommend an good quality automotive polish for the gloss finish.

bandit2013 said:
I have that same problem here as far as space is concerned. Too much of everything. The whole house is a man cave at the moment. I still have more guitars than amps but the amp count is catching up.

As for local shops or not so local shops, nobody sells Mesa except for one place but they have a small selection as far as that goes and to boot they are 100 miles away :cry: I would have to drive to the other side of the state towards Ashville to find a dealer that may have more of a selection.

Sweetwater seems to be easier as I do not have to drive a long distance to get it. It comes to me.

As far as pawn shops, I would have to settle on crate, line6 or a $100 Fender mini amp that comes in a box with low cost fender strat made in china. Trust me, I have gone into many places even for drums, guitars, and amps. Nothing worth the asking price or even to haggle the price even it if it is for less than 50.

Too bad the Roadster is discontinued. At least I have one... wonder what will be coming next? To bad I may want it as I have more than I need already.

Trick to use to make that amp look like new (actually it appears in excellent shape). Turtle Wax ICE liquid synthetic wax. I use it on all of my amps as it does not leave any residue on the leather or vinyl covering, safe for plastics and painted surfaces. I even use it on my guitars too. Also helps with static reduction on the plastic pickguard of my super strats. Not sure if it is good with nitro finish though. All of my electric guitars are Carvins and they recommend an good quality automotive polish for the gloss finish.

Thanks for the heads up on the Turtle Wax.

The over condition of the amp is really good, but a good clean up and waxing couldn't hurt at all. :mrgreen:

Unbelievable deal! For that price, I'd buy it, buy a head shell and cab and make it a stack and still be in it dirt cheap. Wow... just wow. I know the combos are getting harder to move due to weight... but still WOW! Congrats. Deal of a lifetime!

Dreamtheaterrules said:
Unbelievable deal! For that price, I'd buy it, buy a head shell and cab and make it a stack and still be in it dirt cheap. Wow... just wow. I know the combos are getting harder to move due to weight... but still WOW! Congrats. Deal of a lifetime!

Thanks DTR;s

I already have what I think are the best Boogies out there

I've got an '84 MKIIC+ 60 watt combo, '84 MKIIC+ Fully loaded Simul-Class Bubinga/Wicker EV Combo, and an '83 MKIIC 60/100 watt loaded head.

This amp wasn't even on my radar at all. Mostly because it weighs 100 F'N lbs.

For the price, I just couldn't walk away.

It will stay put in my home studio unless I buy a heavy duty dolly to transport it.

Wow! That's insane! I was happy to pick one up for $1k. $400 is ridiculous.

Brandon

If I was in your shoes, I would not be able to pass it up either. Picking it up would be a different issue. I though the RA100 combo was heavy....... Glad I have the head version of the Roadster.

bandit2013 said:
If I was in your shoes, I would not be able to pass it up either. Picking it up would be a different issue. I though the RA100 combo was heavy....... Glad I have the head version of the Roadster.

You're right. It's one heavy MOFO for sure.

I'm really considering getting a head shell and use it as a head.

I don't want to have to lug the beast out anywhere for a live gig.

It's just fine in my home studio and unless I get the head shell, I'm just going to use it at home.

You would have to custom order a head shell from Mesa as the standard head shell will not work due to the combo being inverted and everything will be upside down in the printing and once you get used to the combo. I get confused when playing the RA100 combo and then the head as they are mirror images of one another. What is even worse, the manual was biased to the combo (for the sample settings that is). that is typical with most tube amps that offer both head and combo format (except for Mark, Lonestar and Express series).

At least it has wheels to move it around. the head by itself tends to get heavier the longer distance you have to carry it. Sure use a load cart with air filled tires would be the best bet for any gigging musician if you are your own roadie. At least it is a package deal and one item to move vs leaving half your gear in a vehicle while you set up. Be thankful you are not a drummer........ I had moved my 8 shell drum set in the studio and it took a while to set it up in a different location so that I was happy with it. I went the heavy duty route with the hardware. Huge and cumbersome set with a single kick drum.

Odd that my bass gear is much lighter despite its size (thank you neodymium drivers and solid state amp). Was considering a Mesa rig but a bit out of budget at the moment.

If I were to gig, it would be with the guitar and not the other instruments, most likely would be the TC-50 or the JP-2C and the Vertical 212. the combos and half stacks would stay home unless I need the roadster then it would be the half stack (ouch) and barely any room left for my guitar(s). I think the Roadster combo weighs as much as the OS Recto 412 cab (both are in the 110 lb category, may need a more accurate weight on the cab as it has EVs in it ).

bandit2013 said:
You would have to custom order a head shell from Mesa as the standard head shell will not work due to the combo being inverted and everything will be upside down in the printing and once you get used to the combo. I get confused when playing the RA100 combo and then the head as they are mirror images of one another. What is even worse, the manual was biased to the combo (for the sample settings that is). that is typical with most tube amps that offer both head and combo format (except for Mark, Lonestar and Express series).

At least it has wheels to move it around. the head by itself tends to get heavier the longer distance you have to carry it. Sure use a load cart with air filled tires would be the best bet for any gigging musician if you are your own roadie. At least it is a package deal and one item to move vs leaving half your gear in a vehicle while you set up. Be thankful you are not a drummer........ I had moved my 8 shell drum set in the studio and it took a while to set it up in a different location so that I was happy with it. I went the heavy duty route with the hardware. Huge and cumbersome set with a single kick drum.

Odd that my bass gear is much lighter despite its size (thank you neodymium drivers and solid state amp). Was considering a Mesa rig but a bit out of budget at the moment.

If I were to gig, it would be with the guitar and not the other instruments, most likely would be the TC-50 or the JP-2C and the Vertical 212. the combos and half stacks would stay home unless I need the roadster then it would be the half stack (ouch) and barely any room left for my guitar(s). I think the Roadster combo weighs as much as the OS Recto 412 cab (both are in the 110 lb category, may need a more accurate weight on the cab as it has EVs in it ).

After reading this info above, it might be better just to leave it like it is.

Make the best use of it in it's combo form and utilize the 4 different channels in my home studio.

The 4 channels offer the most variety of any of the amps I own.

Just need to be thankful I have an amp like this.

I would also say leave it as is, or sell it as is, and get something more travel friendly. Even as just a head that thing is a beast. The head weighs more than a lot of combos.

tbonesullivan said:
I would also say leave it as is, or sell it as is, and get something more travel friendly. Even as just a head that thing is a beast. The head weighs more than a lot of combos.

Sometimes weight can be the reason an amp stays or goes, no matter how good it sounds.

I'm going to have to see if I REALLY need to hold on to this beast.

I probably could sell it and get a nice guitar with the proceeds.

Latest posts

Back