Maverick 2x12 Pictures with Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
So, I finally got around to messing with the Maverick, due to a bunch of issues. The pots were pretty scratchy, so I wasn't going to open it up until I was ready to devote a few hours to getting it up and running. What I found with it is not exactly what I was expecting, and it's clear that some things are not exactly normal with this the cabinet of this amplifier. The Chassis/electronics look great, aside from the scratchiness. Anyway, here are the pictures. There are a lot so I'll make a few posts.

Here's the amp with the back cover removed. This shows the two Black Shadow C90 speakers that are installed, as well as the JJ Tubes. Looks like a previous owner definitely got a retube kit from Eurotubes. It's also hard to see, but the voice coil cover on the left speaker is indented, and a bit darker in color than the one on the right. Not sure if that's an issue or not.

maverick01.jpg

Here are the casters that one of the previous owners put on the bottom. They don't lock, and can't come off, so I took them off and replaced them with standard Mesa rubber feet. The screws threaded right into the old holes for the feet. It does not look like they pre-drilled holes for the casters.

maverick03.jpg

New Feet on:

maverick04.jpg

Here's a picture of the retainers for the power cord, and for some reason there are two, and some other screw holes, right near the tube diagram. There is also a mystery screw that may have been the original retainer location.

maverick05.jpg

Here's where it starts to get a little strange. It looks like the EL84 power tube retainers are starting to corrode where they were in contact with the power tubes. They can easily be replaced though. Also, one of the hinge standoffs for the preamp tube cover is broken, so I'll need to get one of those as well.

maverick06.jpg

The PCB shows "MESA MAV2B 1993". The PCB looks to be in great shape. I am basically trying to get this amp into good working order, so that it won't fall apart when I play it, so most of my concerns are with the cabinet, not the guts.

maverick12.jpg

maverick13.jpg

Here's the first big ARGH issue. A previous owner or a tech (I hope a tech didn't do this disaster) pulled the chassis out and apparently didn't notice that it was stuck on the foil shield on top, and tore the hell out of it while pulling it out. Then they kinda bunched it up and stuck it back on, but poorly. I am going to try to pull apart some of it that is stuck to itself, but It maybe easier to replace it in the long run. I however have no idea where to get a replacement.

maverick07.jpg

Here's the vent on the speaker that looks discolored and is bent inward. The speaker works. Just didn't know if it was something I should be worried about:

maverick08.jpg

Here is a picture of the cabinet front, with the grill off. The wicker grill pretty much fell off once the chassis was out, as there really isn't anything holding it on. The baffle has 6 silver screws on it that don't seem to serve any purpose. There also seem to be 4 empty screw holes.

maverick10.jpg

This is the back of the grill baffle, and it looks like it does have 4 screw holes, but there is nothing on the other side. Some of the pictures of maverick 2x12s have 4 screws holding the grill on, while others do not. The grille logo also is the "MESA/BOOGIE" logo, and most of the other mavericks I see have the Mesa Engineering logo. However it definitely appears to be "real", so I'm kinda confused with the extra holes and screws.

maverick11.jpg

maverick15.jpg

I can't help you with the mystery screw holds on the grill cloth baffle.

As far as the foil paper, any aluminum foil will work. Its purpose is to encapsulate the circuitry with chassis from radio waves. I think MESA uses a thick grade aluminum foil. If you could afford it, go to your electronic stores like Fry's Electronic and use copper. Apply with contact cement if the copper doesn't come with an adhesive back.

If your Maverick has to get repair, its circuitry is easy access to work on unlike a Road King or Roadster (Don't go on you tube and check out "Nightmare Roadster").

MESA do sell the original MESA Engineering emblem 4-5/8" long if I'm not mistaken.

Amazon do sell MESA type pop-off caster if you want to go that rout.

To me, Maverick is one the sweetest amp for my purpose, light gain to moderate gain. Many uses a pedal in front of it for more gain. I find it has enough gain. If I need more gain I use another amp since I don't like fiddling with stomp boxes.

But I wish it had a presence control like my Vox AC30. These amps are similar but Maverick is more practical for gigging because you can flip flip channels. The Vox has to sweet Vox chime though.

You like a bit more headroom since you went with the Black Shadows, I like a little more grit so I went with low power speakers.

Someday I like using the silicon diode rectifiers, other days I like the softer sweet tube rectifier. That's versatility! Nice score!

I actually have a bunch of 2 inch wide conductive adhesive copper tape for the underside of guitar control covers. I Could probably use that to hold down the edge. I just don't get how anyone didn't notice they were ripping it off. It's STAPLED onto the top of the amp at the edges, so they had to have really ripped at it.

I'm not really concerned about the logo, just how I'm supposed to keep the grill from falling off. It looks possibly like the wicker on the front was redone, and maybe the original logo lost? I don't know the history of the amp, but I know people love to take off logos for some reason.

green_henry said:
Interesting. I saw an early Maverick prototype in black, but I thought all of the production models were blonde (like mine). Is that the original cabinet?
As far as I know. It's definitely the correct cabinet for a Maverick, and has the Maverick sticker on the inside. Most mavericks had Vintage 30 speakers too, so this one is already a bit of an odd duck.

I'm going to contact Mesa to see if they can add some insights. Maybe i can get them to send me some of that sticky aluminum stuff. I do need to get new EL84 clips and some plastic retainers for the preamp tube shield anyway.

t bone, my ROV 112 had pan head sheet metal screws on the back surface of the grill also.
I figured they were acting as a stand off of the baffle, for vibration issues.
Also, the grill was screwed on from the rear surface of the baffle, into the back of the grill, with 5 or 6 screws, IIRC.

I ended up removing all the screws, and stuck a length of 1/4" thick, black foam weather stripping, from Home Depot, on the top edge of the grill, so I could wedge it in the opening, between the cabinet bottom, and the bottom front edge of the chassis, to firmly hold it in place, and still remove it easily.

tele twister said:
t bone, my ROV 112 had pan head sheet metal screws on the back surface of the grill also.
I figured they were acting as a stand off of the baffle, for vibration issues.
Also, the grill was screwed on from the rear surface of the baffle, into the back of the grill, with 5 or 6 screws, IIRC.

I checked the holes again, and they actually do line up. However they definitely seem to have been like most of the Maverick combos I have seen: screwed in from the front. There is no hole on the rear of the baffle, just the front and on the back of the grill. Looking at google pictures, there seems to have been a lot of variety of screws used. I wonder if they were added later and not that way from the factory.

Yeah, you do have an odd-Maverick with taurus black tolex.

I'm thinking that its possible the speaker grill cloth baffle might have been re-grilled or from another MESA 2x12" combo if you don't have rear mounting hole on the speaker baffle. That kind of explains the extra holes and a different MESA emblem from the usual Mavericks' Emblem.

But that's no biggie, right? If you want you could use velcro (but I do see screws that pose a spacing between the speaker baffle and the grill baffle) or snap sockets from Parts Express if you are handyman and into DIY.

Mine, the grill cloth baffle mounts in the back, screws not shown. By the way MESA baffle screws are kind of cork screw with larger diameter than you typical drywall sheet type. Not sure where to get those but SpeakerBuilderSupply.com do sell #8 1-1/4" oval heads (not flat head MESA-type).

As for aluminum foil getting wrinkle, sometime electronic technician instead of allow the chassis to drop of bit, they slide along the top of the enclosure, the chassis catches the aluminum sheet thus the wrinkle. It happens unfortunately. The adhesive gave away.

More than just the adhesive: originally it was stapled on, so they managed to rip through the staples as well.

The grill is definitely the right size, and i don't know if any of the other mesa combos were that same exact size. It does look to be the original grille, as far as I can tell. Mesa does have screws for attaching the front grill on their site. They look mostly like the same screws that hold on the back of the combo.

I've got an email in about the foil. If I can't get some from Mesa, I'll just repair it as best I can. Most companies don't even put anything up there. I'll post updated pictures once I get everything figured out.

t bone, did you notice one of your pre-amp tubes is missing?

Also, I kinda wonder if a previous owner swapped the chassis, with a different model Mesa 2x12 cabinet.

Yes I"m pretty sure the speaker baffle is original, looks no different than mine when I pulled mine out.

MESA Heartbreaker combo is the same dimension as Maverick. Matter fact they came in taurus black tolex like your Maverick. But you have the "tube configuration" label mounted on the enclosure so looks like came with the enclosure

, ... just accepted it, your Maverick is differ than typical Mavericks. Nuthin'' wrong with that. - lol

I'm thinking about dressing mine up with piping around the speaker grill cloth baffle. The dual channel control stack vertically makes the Maverick looked more like the those acoustic guitar amplifier. I want a boutique look. - lol

RR said:
Yes I"m pretty sure the speaker baffle is original, looks no different than mine when I pulled mine out.

MESA Heartbreaker combo is the same dimension as Maverick. Matter fact they came in taurus black tolex like your Maverick. But you have the "tube configuration" label mounted on the enclosure so looks like came with the enclosure

, ... just accepted it, your Maverick is differ than typical Mavericks. Nuthin'' wrong with that. - lol

I'm thinking about dressing mine up with piping around the speaker grill cloth baffle. The dual channel control stack vertically makes the Maverick looked more like the those acoustic guitar amplifier. I want a boutique look. - lol

Keep in mind we build to order. Standard dress is an option, really!

tele twister said:
t bone, did you notice one of your pre-amp tubes is missing?
It's there in the first picture. I pulled one out to confirm that they were all JJ ECC83S tubes. After the pictures, I cleaned all of the input/outputs with a 1/4 inch cable and then a cotton swab with contact cleaner on it. Also cleaned all of the tube sockets and pins, and checked to make sure that none needed re-tensioning. All were good though.

Now I've gotta start thinking about what tubes to put in. The JJ Power tubes have been used enough that the printed JJ logo has turned white/pink and is rubbing off. The preamp tubes look good but all JJ is not what I would consider an ideal preamp tube configuration. Probably going to order some Mesa EL84 tubes and maybe a preamp tube or two.

Authorized Boogie said:
Keep in mind we build to order. Standard dress is an option, really!
This would be one reason why I have so much trouble going for a NEW boogie. Too many choices! I have seen some incredible looking amps come out lately.

For me though, simple colors are generally best. Sound is more important than looks. Which is why I got a purple/indigo amp jewel to put on the maverick.

Back