The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Can't wait!

I've owned a recto 4x12 about 10 years ago (Good grief... has it really been that long ago!?) and have just purchased a Roadster combo. I'd prefer the head, but got a great deal on this one and if I like the way it sounds enough, may even sell my Bogner 2x12.

I've been reading through the manual (it amazes me how complex this amp is) and watching every YouTube video I can. Decided to join this forum since I'm sure I'll have some questions best answered here.

I'll post up some pics once it arrives. Should be shipping out today... I suspect I'll have it on Monday or Tuesday most likely. Maybe Friday if I'm lucky, but I'm not counting on it.

Tips and advice are much appreciated! Right now I'm planning on plugging in, setting the controls to noon, and going from there for each channel and mode once it arrives.

The one question I do have, now that I think about it, is are there any particular pedals you guys are using in front of the Roadster that it really likes for any particular sounds? Thinking about picking up a Maxon 808 to use. I've also got a Crunch Box, but I suspect it will be sold after I get this amp. :)

Brandon

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:33 am 
Bottle Rocket

Pedals: Mesa Tone Burst, Grid Slammer, and Flux Drive. I use all 3 and stack them. A good compression pedal is a good thing to have. All pedals are subjective based on taste and amp, but in this case we have the same amp. I really like those pedals shaped to taste. The tone burst is basically and always on pedal for me on any channel of the amp and its eq settings are very useful when switching to different types of guitars without having to do much tweaking on the amp itself.

Experiment with rectifier vs diode as well as 50 vs 100 watts. You can really fine tune your sound with those switches and the preamp switches on each channel.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:39 am 
Bottle Rocket

Awesome. Thanks, cave man.

I also scored an Amp Gizmo with the Mesa Roadster cable for $50 today! Pretty stoked about that, especially since this one doesn't have a footswitch... Lol

Brandon

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:55 am 
Bottle Rocket

Welcome to Roadster family :)
This amp is very versatile but... very NON-user friendly. Read the manual CAREFULLY and FIRST try Mesa suggested settings.
I suggest a good compressor pedal (eg. Carl Martin) for clean sounds.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 am 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks, I will! I am hoping to maybe find some blank face plates to make a record of different settings I like, too. Hmmm... I wish I was a developer... that would be a cool app.

Brandon

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Have a Roadster Combo myself. Best amp I've ever owned. Congrats!

Line 6 POD 300HD (Effects only)
Mesa Cab Clone (for direct input when playing live)
...and loving every minute of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:32 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks! I am very excited. My wife is actually excited, too. Haha!

I was one of the kids around 2000 that all of his favorite bands were using a rectifier, so this is something I've wanted for a long time. I'm glad I'm finally getting the opportunity to grab one. And I'm really glad its the Roadster, too. Perfect amp for what I want to do... covers a LOT of ground really well. It's a little bit like my old Hughes and Kettner Triamp, which was also a wonderful amp, but it's more flexible. It comes in tomorrow.

Brandon

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:48 am 
Bottle Rocket

Same here NeveSSL. I turned 18 in the year 2000 when these amps where in their prime, and got hooked forever on the sound. Something about how it sounds like it's shredding the air into pieces when going full bore. (Not that it's the only thing it's good for). I use mine for playing along with my favorite songs from that era, but also use it regularly for playing at church, so it is a very versatile amp. Enjoy yours!

Line 6 POD 300HD (Effects only)
Mesa Cab Clone (for direct input when playing live)
...and loving every minute of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:55 am 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks! How does the HD300 do for effects with your Roadster?

Brandon