New Maverick 2x12 Owner Here

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here. I still have and love my DC-5, but lately I was looking for something different, and I picked up a Dual Rectifier Maverick 2x12 in black locally. Great sound, and really love it.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, suggestions, etc for these amps. The manual makes mention of a "mesa dual footswitch", which I assume would be a dual mono setup. Does anyone know where I could get onr or one that is compatible? Its nice to be able to control things with a footswitch.

Thanks for the recommendation! Looks perfect for what I need. I had hoped MB would have a dual FS, but unfortunately looks like they don't. Hosa makes a nice cheap dual T/S cable setup that is around 12 feet long, more than what i need.

I'll get some pictures up ASAP. Not really much time today, got orchestra rehearsal at night and other stuff. Also need to see if any if the current MB slip covers will fit. As I have a buncha amps, dust covers are a definitely plus, keepin crud from getting on the amp.

Currently trying to figure out which MB slip cover would fit the Maverick 2x12. There is this one, which is listed as fitting the maverick, nomad 45, and nomad 55 4x10?

https://store.mesaboogie.com/slip-cover-maverick-nomad-45-nomad-55-4x10-combo/

This one though looks like it matches the dimensions.

https://store.mesaboogie.com/slip-cover-27-inch-combos-extension-cabs-see-description-for-models/

• Stick with Mesa tubes; I've tried others and they always end up sounding harsh/ice-pickey.
  • Replace one of the Vintage 30s with a G12H30, particularly if you can find one used, in good condition
  • A good overdrive pedal (e.g. Flux Drive) in front of the clean channel sounds great. A good overdrive in front of the lead channel sounds even better

Enjoy!

I just checked my Maverick, and it has two 90 Watt Black Shadow speakers in it.

I am familiar with the Vintage 30 G12H30 combo from other boards. Also I had another combo with an Eminence Black Powder and Blue Tick hound, and they work great together.

I haven't seen what tubes are inside yet, whether they are mesa branded or not. It sounds great as it is, just plug in and go. I don't think I'll be using it to run any pedals through, except maybe a clean boost.

I had the 2x12 combo for a few years.
sometimes I really loved it and sometimes not so much. it was very sensitive to which guitar/pickups I was using. I liked mine best with low output humbuckers on a les paul type guitar. both channels sounded good. anyway my advice is take time to dial in the amp for the guitar youre using.
rock on man.

I've got a bunch of different style guitars, so I'll see which ones work best with it. I know that some of my guitars, particularly the single coil ones, can have a hard time driving lower gain amplifiers.

My DC-5 thankfully taught me the wisdom of reading the manual and dialing in everything slowly, especially on the rhythm channels with the "dual purpose mid control".

I like the switchable rectifiers (either tube or silicon) not like today's rectifier switching not allowing tube rectifier in some modes.

I too like without pedals, if I need more gain, I'd go with another amp. This amps has great cleans to moderate gain.

I too recommend going with G12-30s either Anniversary or Heritage. I have both, they sound similar but I'd say the Anniversary is more aggressive, Heritage more vintage vibe almost like alnicos but has more bottom end (resonance 80 hz -vs- 55 Hz).These speakers break up more quicker than the stock Vintage 30s. Although if you need more headroom clean go stick with Vintage 30s.

I pulled the back off the amp to clean out a bunch of dust, and the speakers inside are definitely Black Shadow C90s. Did some versions of the combo come with Vintage 30s instead? I did see some cream colored combos with them on google images.

My maverick is either black or a very dark blue color, definitely with C90s. I really like the C90 in my DC-5, so I don't really have any plans to change them out. I tend to like a clearer speaker sound, and let the amp make the tone. Also I don't have any G12H30's around to throw in, and it sounds great already.

This weekend I am going to remove the casters that a previous owner put on, and put Rubber feet back on. I've got a nice rolling dolly, which also has locking wheels, which the combo does not have. Also going to probably put a "purple" jewel in to replace the red one.

mine was a cream one with vintage 30s in it. cant compare it to one with black shadows in as I never tried one.
I had casters to mine as well, its one heavy amp to carry on just a top handle.
I also like changing the jewels out on my amps, I got a bunch of different colours to suit my mood.
glad youre digging the amp.

If the casters were removable I wouldn't have an issue, but they are not, and the feet are gone. I like to put my amps up off the ground to be closer to my ears, so I have a wooden amp shelf my brother built. However the wheels really don't work with it, and I wouldn't want it falling or rolling off.

I am kinda glad it doesn't have Vintage 30s in it. I have not had good luck with those in the past.

Latest posts

Back