Differences between 2ch, 3ch, and Road Series Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afu

Reaction score
Was looking at schematics. On my 3ch DR, the Output control has a treble bleed circuit. This is absent on the Road Series and only activated on the 2ch Orange Vintage.

I have a few questions:

Has anyone familiar with at least two of these amps noticed differences between the sound using the Output?

What about Vintage Orange vs Red on the 2ch? Is the difference in the highs very noticeable?

Anyone who has an early 3ch, is the circuit on the Output different?

The basic design of the two high gain channels on the Road Series and the 3ch are the same, but for two things and I think this is the important one. Removing it would smooth the high end. That might be desirable. I would think the sound would resemble when the loop is disengaged.

Any thoughts?

I've never played a 3 channel, but when they came out one of the comments was that they were brighter and the old 2 channels were darker/smoother. Back then, some felt the extra brightness was a good thing as it allowed the 3 channel to cut better than the 2 channel.

Ref my 2 channel and Roadster... I've never noticed what you're asking about, but I have found that the modern channels on both were fairly similar with the effects loop bypassed, although the 2 channel's vintage mode was darker and had it's own thing going on.

Both amps behave drastically different with the effects loop on; the two channel becomes murky, less in your face and looses low end depth/power. The Roadster loop gives it a bigger, more bloated bottom end that can slow the amp down and make it less percussive.

I sometimes think that the people who think a Recto "needs" an OD to be tight have only used it with the effects loop on.

Back