The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:25 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hi everyone.
I have a Rectoverb 25 combo, and I just bought a Theile 1x12 extension cab for it.
Before I go getting all rock star crazy and begin hooking the cab up, I have what I think is an easy to answer question, but Ive not had luck getting a definitive answer so far.
If I want to use the Combos internal speak in conjunction with the 1x12 cab, would I unplug the combos internal speaker from the 8 ohm jack and plug it into one of the 4 ohm jacks, and plug the Theile into the other 4 ohm jack? OR does the combos 8 ohm jack ALWAYS need an 8 ohm load on it, no matter what?
The user manual doesnt answer this question, and I really dont want to blow the RV up!
Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:00 am 
Mark II

Yes you have it right. Internal 8 ohm speaker and external 8 ohm speakers to be plugged into the 4ohm outputs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:18 am 
Mark II

Hi,

And just to elaborate a bit... there is nothing special about the 8 ohm jack and there is nothing special about the combo speaker, it is a regular 8 ohm speaker. The amp needs a load equal or greater than the jack label at all times. All the jacks (4 and 8 ohms) are wired back to the same place essentially.

When you hook up 8 ohm speakers to each 4 ohm jack, the actual load to each jack in this case is 4 ohms because the 4 ohm jacks are wired in parallel and are all connected back to the same place. The manual should have some more info on hooking up speakers (extension cabs).

Regards,

Mace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:02 am 
Donating Member

ETrask70 wrote:
Hi everyone.
I have a Rectoverb 25 combo, and I just bought a Theile 1x12 extension cab for it.
Before I go getting all rock star crazy and begin hooking the cab up, I have what I think is an easy to answer question, but Ive not had luck getting a definitive answer so far.
If I want to use the Combos internal speak in conjunction with the 1x12 cab, would I unplug the combos internal speaker from the 8 ohm jack and plug it into one of the 4 ohm jacks, and plug the Theile into the other 4 ohm jack? OR does the combos 8 ohm jack ALWAYS need an 8 ohm load on it, no matter what?
The user manual doesnt answer this question, and I really dont want to blow the RV up!
Thanks for your help!

Page 23 of your owners manual clearly explains this.

'01 Recto 4X12 V30/Swamp Thang
'04 Recto 4X12 V30/Delta Pro 12A
'74 Les Paul Custom
'12 Les Paul Signature T
Slinky's & Jazz III's
Voodoo Labs MIDI
==> NOMAD on Facebook <==