Mini Rectifier on order

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheehanje

Reaction score
After being on the fence I ordered a Mini Rectifier. Was an open box special and decided to grab it.

I was first looking to downsize my rig - and was initially going to sell my JP-2C... I couldn't do it - that amp is just too good to part with... So I decided to sell some other equipment I have that gets sparingly used so I don't end up in a battle with my wife...

Anyways - I plan on using the Mini Rec for rehearsal and a backup to my JP-2C at live gigs. Although for some smaller shows, if I like the mini rec enough I may use it as my primary amp.

So, I have some questions. This is my first rectifier amp - and I know it's a different beast from it's bigger siblings. I've been a mark series user for the past 3 years (first a Mark V, now the JP-2C)....

First off - is this thing really loud enough for small to medium sized gigs? I play in a punk influenced metal band. I need some power, but it's not like I'm playing huge venues...

Second, I have a Mesa vertical 2X12 - which pairs great with the JP-2C and I'm assuming will work great with the MR as it has V30's. However I also have a 1X12 closed back with a C90 in it. I know the C90's are eponymous with newer Mark series combo's - but would it be a good pairing with the Mini Rectifier?

Final question - are EL84's the only tubes that can be used with this amp? I'm assuming the answer is yes (without some major modification) - and I'm fine with that, but just curious....

I can answer your first question - I've found mine to easily be loud enough, i don't think i would get much more clean out if it but thats at the point where it's pretty loud with no break up. Driven tones it's got loads of power to spare. Bear in mind though i run it through a 4x12 cab with a mix of Eminence and Celestion speakers.

Third question, yes, you can only use it with EL84's.

I don't think you are going to be disapointed with the Mini Rec, it really is a great amp. I'm still amazed everytime i use mine at the vast range of tones i can get from it, everything from crystal clean to full on brutal distortion. A particular favourite of mine at the moment is channel 1 pushed, gain about half way up. Awesome classic rock tone.

Nick79 said:
I can answer your first question - I've found mine to easily be loud enough, i don't think i would get much more clean out if it but thats at the point where it's pretty loud with no break up. Driven tones it's got loads of power to spare. Bear in mind though i run it through a 4x12 cab with a mix of Eminence and Celestion speakers.

Third question, yes, you can only use it with EL84's.

I don't think you are going to be disapointed with the Mini Rec, it really is a great amp. I'm still amazed everytime i use mine at the vast range of tones i can get from it, everything from crystal clean to full on brutal distortion. A particular favourite of mine at the moment is channel 1 pushed, gain about half way up. Awesome classic rock tone.

Looking forward to plugging it in tomorrow. I don't think it will supplant the JP-2C - but I definitely would be interested using it for some gigs and for rehearsal. Mesa's are very versatile I'm finding - I even found a good blues tone with the JP-2C after sitting down with it a while. It doesn't have much ability trying to get the clean channel to break up - so that's something I'm looking forward to in the mini rec.

The Mini excells at clean break up in my opinion. It really is such a versatile amp, i think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. It's also quite straight forward to dial in i've found. Put everything at noon and go from there.

Latest posts

Back