Road King II Chan 4 Volume Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some help trying to find a problem with my RKII head. I was at rehearsal last night and this was the first time in a while I'd used my RK with the band. On some songs I use chan 3 as my rhythm sound and then instead of just engaging the solo I might just switch to channel 4 with the solo control engaged or might just use chan 4 on its own or chan 3 wth the solo control depending on what I'm doing. Chan 3 is set to vintage and chan 4 is set to modern. I noticed quite a volume difference between chan 3 and chan 4. Chan 3 was working no worries and was pretty loud but when trying to turn up chan 4 it wasn't getting any louder compare to chan 3. I tried to engage the solo control but the same thing happened the volume on the solo control wasn't getting any louder no matter where I moved it to.

Could this be a preamp or power tube problem? I've set my channel strips to 4 x 6l6's on both channels also and the fx loop is on no matter what as I'm using an axe fx for my effects. Everything else works on the amp so it's only chan 4 . Is the modern setting a lot softer compared to the vintage setting?

Any ideas what the problem could be? I've not had the RK head that long and it was bought 2nd hand off of ebay. I'm guessing because I've been playing it at such low volumes at home there was no way of detecting this until it was turn up?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks
Paul

Hello.

I have a Roadster so a bit different platform but the preamps should be same in both amps...

Did you try without fx in loop? - the vintage & modern have different poweramp voicings and fx loop levels and also the modern has huge amount of low end so compressor in fx loop would struggle with that...

How are the channel volumes set? Most of the time I set ch3 to somewhere between 10-11 o'clock and ch4 modern a bit lower...

Without fx the modern ch 4 should be louder when the channel volumes are set to same.

Check the preamp tubes and if that doesn't work there could be problem in some relays? But that's only speculation as I do not know the internals of the amps so well... but I think others can chime in a bit more.

Eevil said:
Hello.

I have a Roadster so a bit different platform but the preamps should be same in both amps...

Did you try without fx in loop? - the vintage & modern have different poweramp voicings and fx loop levels and also the modern has huge amount of low end so compressor in fx loop would struggle with that...

How are the channel volumes set? Most of the time I set ch3 to somewhere between 10-11 o'clock and ch4 modern a bit lower...

Without fx the modern ch 4 should be louder when the channel volumes are set to same.

Check the preamp tubes and if that doesn't work there could be problem in some relays? But that's only speculation as I do not know the internals of the amps so well... but I think others can chime in a bit more.

Thanks for the reply,

I actually tried the amp at home last night again and something is very strange because it's now working again. I'm wondering if it is an intermittent problem which has just tarted to show itself. If so it's most likely a preamp tube. I'll keep any eye on it for now but I think I'm gonna re tube it eventually. I'm not sure if the previous owner did ever re tube it or not but it's best to be on the safe side I suppose, I don't want a tube blowing mid gig.

I had something like this happen at a gig once and one of the switches in the back was flipped. I really wish there was a way to protect them a little better because it can be really hard to troubleshoot it when you can't see anything.

Latest posts

Back