94 dual rectifier - dog chewed my power cable off

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as the title suggests i am currently in the market for a shovel and a new dog.

Seriously though I need some advice. The power cable on this amp is fixed to the amp, and now the end with the plug is chewed off. What do you guys think my options are? I'm not very electronics savvy, but I do know that I (or more likely someone who knows what they're doing) could potentially just patch a new plug onto the end of the cable. However, would it be very difficult/expensive to turn this into an amp with a newer removable cable? What do you guys think?

opiateofthemasses said:
So as the title suggests i am currently in the market for a shovel and a new dog.

Seriously though I need some advice. The power cable on this amp is fixed to the amp, and now the end with the plug is chewed off. What do you guys think my options are? I'm not very electronics savvy, but I do know that I (or more likely someone who knows what they're doing) could potentially just patch a new plug onto the end of the cable. However, would it be very difficult/expensive to turn this into an amp with a newer removable cable? What do you guys think?
I would just put a new plug on the end and call it a day. I would think that installing an IEC socket could run a few hundred dollars at a tech.

How important is that removable power cable?

It's not important at all. I just wasn't sure if the patch idea was a good idea. Like I said I'm not. Wet knowledgable with that sort of stuff.

I would replace the plug end if the cable is still long enough.

However, I would probably replace the entire cable with the same jacket rating and wire size. The trick would be removing the strain relief from the chassis and reusing it with a new cord. It is feasible to add an IEC socket but that will require chassis cutting (more work that it is worth) ouch, not to mention metal chips getting on the circuits and such. If it is a steel chassis a magnet will keep most at bay, aluminum that will be harder to protect circuit boards and such and if you mess up, you will need another chassis. Unfortunately, I would be one that would attempt such if there was enough space provided.

Note: dig the hole at least 4 feet if not deeper and use lots of lime to eliminate the smell seeping up from the ground especially when it rains out.

I usually keep cords, guitars, and other chewable items out of reach as they are not very digestible. Instead, give your dog something else to chew on and pay more attention to wants and desires of the dog. My dog has no interest to chew on my stuff, but the wife's things definitely were tempting especially her shoes even when she had them on her feet.

Easy to replace. Youtube has plenty of DIY

Here's two. Search for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tva8k4ErfSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKkrjWPVz9I

Tools usually required:
screw driver
Philips head driver
knife or wire stripper
wire cutters or pliers to cut wire

Just make sure ground is to ground, +ve to +ve, -ve to -ve Search google for proper connections for the country you're in. Also note the wire colours as they can vary sometimes.

Sorry about your dog.....

-B

Back