The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: EL 34's
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:06 pm 
Donating Member

I've always been a 6L6 guy with Rectos. A buddy has a 3 channel (non-Multi Watt) Dual that has EL34s in it that sounds great though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:36 am 
Mark I

bandit2013 wrote:
Now that I have a quad of EH6CA7, will have to squeeze them into the Roadster and see what happens. I tried them in the RA100 combo just for kicks. I did not care for the KT77 in the Roadster but those tubes rocked quite well in the Mark V.

I have a quad of JJ 6ca7 and really liked them in my Roadster, but after a month of use, two just red plated out of nowhere. I got them replaced under warranty and asked for a colder biased set and unfortunately, they just don't sound as good as the first set. I was really digging the tone from the first ones, but I ended up switching back to stock Mess 6l6's. The EL34B's and KT77's just don't get the tone I want using them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:12 am 
Triple Recto

V3 wrote:
bandit2013 wrote:
Now that I have a quad of EH6CA7, will have to squeeze them into the Roadster and see what happens. I tried them in the RA100 combo just for kicks. I did not care for the KT77 in the Roadster but those tubes rocked quite well in the Mark V.

I have a quad of JJ 6ca7 and really liked them in my Roadster, but after a month of use, two just red plated out of nowhere. I got them replaced under warranty and asked for a colder biased set and unfortunately, they just don't sound as good as the first set. I was really digging the tone from the first ones, but I ended up switching back to stock Mess 6l6's. The EL34B's and KT77's just don't get the tone I want using them.

The EH 6CA7 tubes are not the same as the JJ versions. Tone is a bit different. Those JJ 6CA7 sounded killer in the Mark V but that only lasted for two weeks of moderate use since one tube became intermittent forcing the other to overheat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:53 pm 
Mark I

Sounds common then! It's a shame, because the first set was the best sounding tubes I have had in the amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:32 pm 
Triple Recto

I have not tried the EH 6CA7 in the Mark V and probably will not. However they definitely sound great in the TC-100.