Can I mix rectifier tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow006

Reaction score
For example can I mix different brands of 5U4G? Could I mix 5U4G with 5U4GB? 5U4G with 5AR4?

What APEMAN said. There's no any advantage. If you have same type of rectifier tubes from different manufacturers, there's no problem either to mix them.

APEMAN said:
Yes you can...but, if you mix a 5U4G with a GZ34, the GZ34 will wear out faster (because their operating points are different). Therefore it is a little bit like pulling the colder tube. So, it doesn't make so much sense imo.

Thank you for explaining it like that. I wasn't sure so I thought it was best to ask before doing it.

Shemham said:
What APEMAN said. There's no any advantage. If you have same type of rectifier tubes from different manufacturers, there's no problem either to mix them.

Thank you for the information. I was originally going to try to get all these old NOS rectifier tubes to make sets but it's cheaper and easier for me to just mix and match brands of 5U4G.

Latest posts

Back