High gain and the lifespan of preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow006

Reaction score
So I've seen this in the Rectifier manual and I was wondering if someone could help explain this statement better....

"NOTE: Due to the RECTO’S extreme gain potential, the highest regions of the GAIN Control may possibly push the pre-amp tubes past what they can handle, producing microphonic squealing. While we screen and test the tubes your amplifier was shipped with and the tubes in your amp passed our rigorous test, we can’t predict how the tubes will respond over time exposed to extreme gain settings. Your tubes are warrantied for a period of 6 months under normal use, but you can save yourself the present and future inconvenience of having to deal with annoying microphonic tube problems by simply using a little common sense...Don’t turn the Gain all the way up!"

So is there some sort of relationship where the higher the gain the shorter the tube life will be? Is there some way of measuring it where gain at 3 o clock will last 1000 hours and gain at 12 o clock will last 1500 hours?

Snow006 said:
So I've seen this in the Rectifier manual and I was wondering if someone could help explain this statement better....

"NOTE: Due to the RECTO’S extreme gain potential, the highest regions of the GAIN Control may possibly push the pre-amp tubes past what they can handle, producing microphonic squealing. While we screen and test the tubes your amplifier was shipped with and the tubes in your amp passed our rigorous test, we can’t predict how the tubes will respond over time exposed to extreme gain settings. Your tubes are warrantied for a period of 6 months under normal use, but you can save yourself the present and future inconvenience of having to deal with annoying microphonic tube problems by simply using a little common sense...Don’t turn the Gain all the way up!"

So is there some sort of relationship where the higher the gain the shorter the tube life will be? Is there some way of measuring it where gain at 3 o clock will last 1000 hours and gain at 12 o clock will last 1500 hours?

The statement isn't about tube life, but about pushing the limits of susceptibility to microphonics. The tubes may perform flawlessly when used within normal parameters - but may become microphonic when subjected to loads of high gain signal. Thanks

Authorized Boogie said:
Snow006 said:

The statement isn't about tube life, but about pushing the limits of susceptibility to microphonics. The tubes may perform flawlessly when used within normal parameters - but may become microphonic when subjected to loads of high gain signal. Thanks

Thank you very much for clarifying this with such a quick response!

Latest posts

Back