Tremoverb Speaker Wiring Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Reaction score
I have a new to me '98 Tremoverb 2x12 combo with the 16ohm vintage 30's. I just noticed that it looks like they are possibly wired in series which is a 32ohm load. The speakers were plugged into the 8ohm output. I'm a little concerned.
I've read Mesa's are a little flexible in this, but it seems a little overboard.
The manual says the 16ohm speakers come wired in parallel.
I'm thinking I need to rewire them to parallel here.

Are you the original owner of this Trem-o-Verb? If you aren't then the previous owner may have used an extension cabinet and needed to wire these two V30s to 32 ohms. Yes that does looks like wired in series.

Yeah, wire back to parallel.

Love them Trem-o-Verbs. I almost traded mine for a Road King when the first came out. After I played a my friend's Road King for a week I said to myself: "Those extra channels are redundant for me. No need to have an amp with more features I'm not going to use." No knock, Road King is a great amp nevertheless.

RR said:
Are you the original owner of this Trem-o-Verb? If you aren't then the previous owner may have used an extension cabinet and needed to wire these two V30s to 32 ohms. Yes that does looks like wired in series.

Yeah, wire back to parallel.

Love them Trem-o-Verbs. I almost traded mine for a Road King when the first came out. After I played a my friend's Road King for a week I said to myself: "Those extra channels are redundant for me. No need to have an amp with more features I'm not going to use." No knock, Road King is a great amp nevertheless.
Thanks for the 2nd opinion. I didn't know if I missed something here. I'm not the original owner. I hope nothing is damaged as I think the previous owner who was using it would have mentioned the wiring. Who knows how long it was used this way.
Yeah, I really love every channel except for the clean. I was noodleing around the other day on the vintage gain channel and it was dead on with early Metallica. The blues and modern gain are also very impressive in my opinion. Great amp without pedals.

Using the amp at 32 ohms won't hurt a thing, might be a drop in volume. Now if the amp is loaded with 2 ohms or below, that might be a problem which it was not.

Yeah, compared to other amps' cleans, the ToVs' Orange Clean mode are o-kay or "so-so" but I agree Orange Vintage Hi Gain mode, and Red's Blues and Modern Modes are awesome! This amp is the flagship for the Road King. Two channel Dual Rectifier and ToV's' "channel cloning" never caught on so MESA decided why not (3)4 independent channels instead of channel cloning?

RR said:
Using the amp at 32 ohms won't hurt a thing, might be a drop in volume. Now if the amp is loaded with 2 ohms or below, that might be a problem which it was not.
Thank you for the feedback. That makes me feel better. I'll be switching the wiring later today.

Before you rewire can you diagram out what is going on from a + and - perspective?

I'm thinking they might be out of phase too

cyber104 said:
Before you rewire can you diagram out what is going on from a + and - perspective?

I'm thinking they might be out of phase too
Sorry, I had already re-wired last night and don't know exactly. Would there have been damage if it was out of phase?

No but it would have sounded funny.

Make sure you know where your + and - is (I'm guessing you made note of that when you rewired to parallel)

Latest posts

Back