Mesa Recto-verb 25W combo 12AX7 tube cover missing O ring?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkyard

Reaction score
I received a Mesa Recto-verb 25 combo yesterday, the seller had removed all the tubes, 2 of the metal 12AX7 tubes covers are missing the 1" rubber O ring at the bottom that buffer contact with the chassis. Is this just a standard ring you can buy in any hardware store? Thanks

You could but I have lost a few over the years on my amps and I just never replaced it. Never noticed any issues but I dont travel with mine much either. I think if you can find one at lowes sure. But I myself wouldnt bother.

You can get replacement "tube cans" from Mesa on their parts web site. If it is new, send them an email with some photos and they should send you replacement cans with o-rings (probably cheaper as an assembly than messing with just the o-rings) for free. At least, i would hope they would. I bought a couple replacements on top of a tube order and they are dirt cheap (you'll pay more for shipping if you get the tube cans alone).

Now, does it make a difference? I do not know. I do know that my Mark V had a "microphonic" sounding tube issue during a gig. Testing at home, I swapped the V1 tube the microphonics was gone, then I put the original V1 tube back in again (just to double check if it rang when I hit it with a pencil), and it did not ring. So, I put the can back on V1 and buttoned everything back up and the "microphonic" ringing returned, even at low volumes. I removed the tube can and noticed it did not have the o-ring, and the ringing disappeared! So, I took one from the V7 tube can and I have had not had a microphonic issue since. Then I ordered some cans with o-rings as back-up.

I spoke with a Mesa tech (Kris) about this on the phone and he claimed that the o-ring should not have a difference. He might be right, and my experience may just have been a coincidence (although, I cannot explain how the 'microphonic' tube healed itself), but nonetheless, the cans/o-rings are dirt cheap, so why not have a couple spares and make sure the can does not come into hard contact with the mounting board?

Mace

Latest posts

Back