Roadster Direct Out Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpefather

Reaction score
I'm using my Roadster 2x12 combo at church, and in an effort to eliminate "stage noise" they are asking me to use the direct out plug in back. It is working ok, but the tone seems to suffer. I'm still trying to talk them into mic'ing up the built-in speakers but that's a losing battle at the moment. Does anyone have any tips for improving the tone when using the direct out?

sharpefather said:
I'm using my Roadster 2x12 combo at church, and in an effort to eliminate "stage noise" they are asking me to use the direct out plug in back. It is working ok, but the tone seems to suffer. I'm still trying to talk them into mic'ing up the built-in speakers but that's a losing battle at the moment. Does anyone have any tips for improving the tone when using the direct out?
Are you referring to the Slave out? That will most likely sound terrible as-is if you are sending it straight to the FOH (PA), and using the Slave will still require you to always have a speaker hooked up to prevent damage to the amp.

Your best bet IMO would be to use a load box/cab simulator like the Mesa Cab Clone, or Two Notes Torpedo. These units plug in to the speaker output and provide the proper speaker load to the amp, while also providing a mic'ed cabinet simulated output. This will allow you to be silent on stage.

Dom

Ok, I have another question. I bought the Mesa Cab Clone. What settings would you recommend for master volume on the amp (to get good tube sound) paired with what Output level on the Cab Clone to send to the board? (Assuming XLR output) I'm just wondering what a good ratio would be. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back