Dual Rec on the truck for delivery

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanseanhd

Reaction score
Can it just get here already. Never played a Dual Rec. i have a Mark V 25 and main amp is Modded 6505+ any advice on set up. Mostly classic rock and metal.

Yeah I have some advice. Buy your girl some flowers now. That sucker is loud and she isnt going to see you for a while. Enjoy! You will just need to play with the various options to find your sound. I prefer not to run the gain all out. A little goes a long way especially if you DONT play metal. :)

Still struggling to get my sound. Man this thing has some Fizz i thought my 6505 could get Fizzy but this is worse.

seanseanhd said:
Still struggling to get my sound. Man this thing has some Fizz i thought my 6505 could get Fizzy but this is worse.
Have you tried some of the sample settings in the manual?

The controls on a Dual Recto are very powerful, a little goes a long way. Start with everything at 12:00, then tweak from there. Whatever you do, don't treat it like a Marshall or your 6505, use your ears, not your eyes.

Also, a good boost out front helps tremendously, and will allow you to keep the amp's gain lower to help avoid the fizz. Most common approach is using a TS-9 with the gain down low, and the volume up high.

How do you have the amp set?

Dom

I think my Fizz problem is i am trying to dial it in at home so not a lot of volume i think it needs to be cranked setting are as follows. 6505 + has a lot of fizz to until you get it cranked i am hoping the same here.

orange channel Vintage
TS 9 vol. 100%
tone 12:00
gain 0
presence 9:00
master 10:00
gain 12:00
bass 9:00
mid 12;00
treble 10:00

seanseanhd said:
I think my Fizz problem is i am trying to dial it in at home so not a lot of volume i think it needs to be cranked setting are as follows. 6505 + has a lot of fizz to until you get it cranked i am hoping the same here.

orange channel Vintage
TS 9 vol. 100%
tone 12:00
gain 0
presence 9:00
master 10:00
gain 12:00
bass 9:00
mid 12;00
treble 10:00
The Dual Recto really needs stage volume to smooth out the fizz. You need to get the output section working to smooth it out. It is not a bedroom amp.

Wait until you get the amp opened up with your band, it is a whole different beast.

Dom

yeah thats what i am assuming the 6505 is the same way. i think i got it pretty good for low volume i did crank it and it seemed to smooth out didn't take long for the wife to come into the music room and give me the look from hell. Wednesday is next practice i will open it up and see what she has to offer. Thanks for the feedback.

the mesa 1x12 smoothed things right out and took away the fizz. I think most of my problem was a crappy MG 4x12 Marshall Thanks for all the input.

If you've got a multi watt recto, try sticking to the orange channel for rhythm and save the red channel for leads. Red is definitely fizzier IMO, and I'm guessing it's intended for a more searing solo tone.

Then again, I may be off my rocker here. Certainly how I experience it with mine, though.

Note: I play through an oversized recto 4x12 with vintage 30s.

not a multi watt model but i have dialed it in on the orange channel the red is a little to bright for me but will play with it once i get it up to volume at rehearsal on Wednesday maybe at volume it will smooth out.

peterdenny said:
Yeah I have some advice. Buy your girl some flowers now. That sucker is loud and she isnt going to see you for a while. Enjoy! You will just need to play with the various options to find your sound. I prefer not to run the gain all out. A little goes a long way especially if you DONT play metal. :)

A little gain goes a long way even if you DO play metal. I have yet to see a reason to run the gain on this amp on Orange or Red channels past 1:30-2:00. Anything after that just starts to smear and not actually increase perceived "distortion" you hear. Good advice about the flowers though.

A little advice on finsing a pleasing setting is to put the channel into whatever mode you want to play with. Set the Channel volume and gain to 12:00 to start. Use the "loop active" output to get your room/stage volume. Now we start tweaking tone controls. Set your Mid first. Find what is pleasing to your ear. Then bring up the Treble until you get the cut you like to the mids you just set. Once those two knobs are to your liking, bring up the Bass now. Add in enough to where you hear it pop out in volume, but before it starts to get obese. You will hear it as it will start to thicken, then the bass gets nice and fat then continuing on, the low end will sound/feel like it drops and spreads out. The best way I can describe it, will be an audible equivalent to dropping a half soft scoop of ice cream on the floor and what that looks like. You want to set your low end in between the Bass popping out in volume, and the ice cream splat stage. Once the low end is to your liking, bring up the Presence to add back in the high end that was lost by adding the bass in.

On humid or rainy days you will probably have to adjust the bass and presence control to re-aproximate your setting.
If you add too much lows and go past what I call the Splat area, It wont, hurt your tone badly, you just will be stepping all over your bassist's Kool-Aid and the overall band tone will be muddy and un-defined. Too little and you wont have the low mids to cut your tonal area out in the mix and be heard. Lowering the channel volume (or master) between 10:30-12:00 does the same thing a boost pedal does when used as a clean boost, but more natural and organic sounding. Use Global Output to compensate for loudness drop.

bjorn218 said:
On humid or rainy days you will probably have to adjust the bass and presence control to re-approximate your setting.

I live in Seattle. This is never a problem with rain or humidity. Ok I lie. Great points.

Thanks for all the advice. got it dialed in on the orange channel in vintage for rhythm and go to red channel in modern for leads.

Back