Post your best classic rock settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiliphil1

Reaction score
There may already be a thread about this but I didn't see one. I figured it would be cool to share our settings for getting classic rock tones from the rectifier.

I'm using a 3 channel triple.

Channel 2 modern, bold, diode.

pres 11:00
master 11:30
gain 11:00
bass 11:45
mid 2:00
treb 1:00

I find that this does a very good 70's rock tone, especially with my Gibson. If I add a tube screamer I can get into 80's rock very easily. It's that classic bright middy tone that we all know, at least to my ear.

The type of pickups you use will have a huge impact on this as well. I can use my Les Paul with Burstbuckers and get a decent mid gain tone, then switch to my Explorer with a Custom and get a lot heavier tone from the same setting.

I generally use channel 1 of my Road King on the Tweed setting for the lighter gain stuff and Channel 3 Raw or Vintage for my mid gain stuff. I'll check the actual settings when I pull it out of the trailer.

silentbob said:
The type of pickups you use will have a huge impact on this as well. I can use my Les Paul with Burstbuckers and get a decent mid gain tone, then switch to my Explorer with a Custom and get a lot heavier tone from the same setting.

I generally use channel 1 of my Road King on the Tweed setting for the lighter gain stuff and Channel 3 Raw or Vintage for my mid gain stuff. I'll check the actual settings when I pull it out of the trailer.

Good call. Same experience here, the Gibson pups to sound more "classic" through it while my Dimarzio and Duncan's sound pretty good too but with a little more meat. I've tried the vintage and raw modes and to me modern with low gain just seems to work so much better, seems strange but I think the reason that most people never find a good classic tone is because they're on the other modes. They don't flip it over to modern and play with the EQ, I know that's the mistake I was making.

I love Zeppelin and I get a decent LZ1 non fuzz tone from my Dual as follows:

CH 2, Raw, Tube Rec, Bold

G: 11:00
P: 11 to 1
B: 10 to 11
M: 12
T: 1

For the fuzzy stuff, turn gain to 2:30 or more, mids to 1, bass to what sounds right. Not a fuzz, but goodnuff.

I do lots of Hendrix on Modern, with tube rec, gain at 2 and bass knob pointing left. Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile, Manic D, Foxy Lady sound cool. Even Wind Cries Mary sounds decent with the guitar turned waaaaay down.

The softening and sag from the tube rectifier makes a big difference when getting both of those sounds.

Latest posts

Back