Major amp problems, need opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiliphil1

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been using a Mesa tremoverb for the last couple of months and I really like what I'm getting from it. I'm having some issues though. I made a thread on here about the orange channel cutting out, I called my local amp shop and they said it would probably be a +/- $200 to take care of it. However, today I was playing it and the whole amp went dead, a pop and then nothing.

At this point I'm sitting here with a couple of options and I'm not sure which way to go.. Problem 1, I only paid $650 for the amp, it was a KILLER deal so I jumped on it. The good news is that I bought it through guitar center so I can return it if need be.

So, the options I see them are 1. I can take this to the amp shop and for $65 they'll tell me what's wrong, could be $50 or $500. 2, return this amp to the store and purchase a newer 3 channel dual/triple. 3. I can try to buy another tremoverb.

Basically, with the repair it's an unknown, it could take anything to repair it, could be cheap, could be expensive. No matter what I am out at least $65, if it costs $500 to repair and I decide not to repair it I'm still out the $65. If I return it, which is what I'm thinking I would have $650 to spend and would need to add +/- $300 to replace it which could be more or less than the cost to repair the one I have.

My main thing is this, if it's going to be a big fix I would rather not loose the $65 to find out I don't want to pay for the repairs. If I take it back and buy another amp my concern is going from the 2 channel tremoverb to a 3 channel dual/triple. I've never played a 3 channel and I have heard that they're fizzy, harsh, and terrible at lower volume.. All of the things the tremoverb isn't.

So, I would like opinions on which way you would go if it was you? Would you bother with the estimate on the repair or just go with a different amp?

For anyone who has played a 2 channel AND a 3 channel what were the differences? Would I be disappointed going from a 2 to a 3?

For anyone who plays a 3 channel, would you say it's fizzy? How does it handle at low volume? Like a little louder than TV volume?

Thanks for any help or opinions. I know you guys can't tell me what to do, just wondering how people who may have more experience would handle the situation.

Thank you.

Disregard guys. I'm going to take advantage of the GC return policy and take this amp back and purchase a 3 channel triple. If it's no good I'll take it back and get another ToV, always wanted to try a triple. This seems like as good a time as any.

Why on earth would you buy a triple for playing slightly louder than the TV?

All your concerns will be true with a triple at low volumes - but it will still produce sound - maybe just not to your liking.

I would either fix the amp you have or start looking for a less powerful alternative than a triple - heck even a dual would be better

cyber104 said:
Why on earth would you buy a triple for playing slightly louder than the TV?

All your concerns will be true with a triple at low volumes - but it will still produce sound - maybe just not to your liking.

I would either fix the amp you have or start looking for a less powerful alternative than a triple - heck even a dual would be better

I didn't mean all the time. I play loud plenty and I do play in a band. I was just wondering how it would be for those times I'm just sitting at home.

It would be a shame if it turned out to be just a bad tube or a dirty (often FX loop) jack or control (volume, tone, etc.) pot.
But, though I hate to say it, you don't want to invest a lot just to end up returning it. GC "may" balk if they see evidence of someone having attempted to repair it (although this would depend on the individual store).

If you have not already, it's probably better to give it back to GC and have them deal with it. And who knows?...maybe they would be willing to replace some or all of the tubes for you (if that cures the problem...just be sure that the output tubes are in proper bias range for Mesa amps).
Good luck!

OK - I understand you play at louder levels

But a Triple may be an overkill for the average guy - those things are fire breathing monsters at 150W. I don't think you could ever hit that "sweet spot" where a Triple really starts to shine in a normal band or club situation. It will sound even worse than a Dual because you really won't ever get into the "power section".

I find that even my 50W Rect-o-verb head used with the right cabinet is plenty loud for most clubs - that's what I'd be looking for if I was in your shoes

I'm honestly not trying to discourage you per se - the Triple is really cool - but you need a situation where it's gonna sound really cool too.

You asked in your first post for feedback on 2 channel vs. 3 channel.

My 2-Channel Rect-o-Verb head with a 1x12 wide body cabinet sounds WAY better than my 3-channel Dual Rec at club volumes (they are relatively small clubs). And it also sounds WAY better at low volumes....but the Dual has it's place and I use it when appropriate.

cyber104 said:
OK - I understand you play at louder levels

But a Triple may be an overkill for the average guy - those things are fire breathing monsters at 150W. I don't think you could ever hit that "sweet spot" where a Triple really starts to shine in a normal band or club situation. It will sound even worse than a Dual because you really won't ever get into the "power section".

I find that even my 50W Rect-o-verb head used with the right cabinet is plenty loud for most clubs - that's what I'd be looking for if I was in your shoes

I'm honestly not trying to discourage you per se - the Triple is really cool - but you need a situation where it's gonna sound really cool too.

You asked in your first post for feedback on 2 channel vs. 3 channel.

My 2-Channel Rect-o-Verb head with a 1x12 wide body cabinet sounds WAY better than my 3-channel Dual Rec at club volumes (they are relatively small clubs). And it also sounds WAY better at low volumes....but the Dual has it's place and I use it when appropriate.

Understood. Thank you. Is it true though that I can pull tubes from the triple? I think I saw a thing where mesa shows which ones are paired and how to remove them to reduce wattage. Also, isn't there only about a 3% difference in volume per 50 watts? Or is it 3db?

Anyhow, I'll see what I can come up with. I'm still looking really hard at the triple, seems like a good deal locally with cabinet included for $1,400 with new glass as well.

I took that ToV back to guitar center earlier and they gave me no problems but, would you believe that they already have it listed on their site again? And in good condition? Someone is going to get screwed.

I went ahead and got the triple with the 2x12. As soon as I hit the first note I knew that was it. It's everything that I wished the ToV was and the the ToV was incredible but this is just so much better to my preference.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm now a very happy 3 channel triple rec owner.

Not sure how the return policy works in the US, but here in Australia, you have a warranty period within a reasonable amount of time and you have yet to use it substantially. The store would then have to get a replacement, repair the item, or give you a refund. Perhaps you could get Guitar Centre to assist you to getting the amp repaired?

KH Guitar Freak said:
Not sure how the return policy works in the US, but here in Australia, you have a warranty period within a reasonable amount of time and you have yet to use it substantially. The store would then have to get a replacement, repair the item, or give you a refund. Perhaps you could get Guitar Centre to assist you to getting the amp repaired?

It was a used item, so there was no warranty. I called the store where it came from and they said that if I didn't BUY the extended warranty that they sell then my only option was a return. I didn't get the warranty, so I just took it back.

The thing that sucks and it really makes me look at guitar center differently is that within about 2 hours of me taking it back they had it listed for sale again with no mention of the problems and someone has already bought it.

Congrats on the Triple Recto! My first Recto was an '01 Triple. I played that amp for 6 years, gigging in all kinds and sizes of places with no issues whatsoever. Only to be sold to fund my Roadster. Sure, the amp sounded best when very loud, but the same goes for my Roadster at 100W. The Rectifier gets 95% of its overdrive, compression & sustain from the preamp, and relies on a clean, un-clipped power section.

I tried pulling 1-set of power tubes (after speaking with Mesa about it) and found that the amp lost its magic, & balls. YMMV. I'm guessing you have an older non-multi watt 3-channel version?

Don't even bother trying to get a good bedroom tone. You'll be disappointed when compared to band volumes. I use a Yamaha THR10 & Line6 Pod Pro for my at home practice. The Roadster stays at our practice studio. Sure, you can get a good tone at low volume, but I feel I get a better low volume tone from my modelers, and I don't have to spend a half hour dialing the amp in at each volume change LOL.

Dom

domct203 said:
Congrats on the Triple Recto! My first Recto was an '01 Triple. I played that amp for 6 years, gigging in all kinds and sizes of places with no issues whatsoever. Only to be sold to fund my Roadster. Sure, the amp sounded best when very loud, but the same goes for my Roadster at 100W. The Rectifier gets 95% of its overdrive, compression & sustain from the preamp, and relies on a clean, un-clipped power section.

I tried pulling 1-set of power tubes (after speaking with Mesa about it) and found that the amp lost its magic, & balls. YMMV. I'm guessing you have an older non-multi watt 3-channel version?

Don't even bother trying to get a good bedroom tone. You'll be disappointed when compared to band volumes. I use a Yamaha THR10 & Line6 Pod Pro for my at home practice. The Roadster stays at our practice studio. Sure, you can get a good tone at low volume, but I feel I get a better low volume tone from my modelers, and I don't have to spend a half hour dialing the amp in at each volume change LOL.

Dom

Yep, this one is a 09/10 non reborn. For my low volume I actually went and bought one of the hotone nano heart attack amps. Fits in the palm of my hand and does a good enough recto tone for the house at stupid low volume.

Chiliphil1 said:
KH Guitar Freak said:

It was a used item, so there was no warranty. I called the store where it came from and they said that if I didn't BUY the extended warranty that they sell then my only option was a return. I didn't get the warranty, so I just took it back.

The thing that sucks and it really makes me look at guitar center differently is that within about 2 hours of me taking it back they had it listed for sale again with no mention of the problems and someone has already bought it.

HA! That's Guitar Centre for you. Then again, maybe the new owner might know how to eventually get it fixed. Could have haggled the price down

Back