Lead sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerminalRedux

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble with channel 3. I usually use my neck pickup (an EMG 85) for my lead sound, but I feel like the tone (channel 3 vintage) isn't really cutting it. A bit too dark, and kind of fizzy especially on the lower strings (I've turned the presence all the way down, which helps a little, but not as much as I'd like). How do you guys set up your amp for solos?

I love my Roadster's lead tones. I use Vintage mode in Ch 3 (Ch 2 of a 3-ch Dual Recto), with a hint of compression from an Xotic SP comp, boosted with a Grid Slammer. In the loop I always use a bit of reverb & delay for solo's. My settings are pretty generic.. Gain about 1:00, Treble 1:00, Mids 11:00, Bass 10:30 or so, Presence to suit the room, Master around 11:00. Bold power, diode rectified.

While I will say that my MKV is easier to get those fluid lead tones straight up guitar -> cable -> amp, the Roadster just seems to have more body to the tone, and a great percussive attack on the notes.

Dom

Hi,

I have a Triple Rectifier and use the Red channel exclusively for soloing. I have all the settings (Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain and Presence) set to 1 o'clock and the master set to 11 o'clock.

These settings produce a very articulate, smooth (to my ears) sounding lead tone.

I play a Jackson USA KE2 equipped with EMG 81 (Bridge) and EMG 85 (Neck) with volume and tone set on 10 (fully open).

Maybe, try these settings and see what you think?

Note: the cab I use is my Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 and no effects just guitar plugged straight into the amp head.

jonnyf said:
Hi,

I have a Triple Rectifier and use the Red channel exclusively for soloing. I have all the settings (Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain and Presence) set to 1 o'clock and the master set to 11 o'clock.

These settings produce a very articulate, smooth (to my ears) sounding lead tone.

I play a Jackson USA KE2 equipped with EMG 81 (Bridge) and EMG 85 (Neck) with volume and tone set on 10 (fully open).

Maybe, try these settings and see what you think?

Note: the cab I use is my Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 and no effects just guitar plugged straight into the amp head.

That sounded really good. I tweaked the settings a bit to use with my TS9 that I use to boost my rhythm tone, and it worked out well. Thanks for the pointer, man. Side note - I also play a Kelly. Nice guitars.

Another thing to consider is that turning on the Solo volume might give you a bit more sustain - I also like a hint of delay when soloing. Makes it nicer sounding.

Latest posts

Back