Tips on going from 4x12 to 2x12 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixman5150

Reaction score
I have a Roadster head and love this **** amp. I have a Mesa Standard/Oversize Angle 4x12. I just recently got a Mesa 2x12 cab. I knew there would be a change in tone from the 4x12 to the 2x12 cab but I guess I didn't think it would be so drastic. A lot more treble/high end on the 2x12. I guess I thought they would be more similar in tone than they are. I'll be switching from one cab to another for shows and practice depending on the size of the venue. Any one have any tips or tricks on keeping the same tone for cabs.

You didn't mention if it was an open back, closed back, 3/4, or half and half (Road King or Vert), 2x12.
They are all quite different, sonically.

There's no good way to replicate the oversized cab. What you are hearing as more high end, is most likely just less low end. They both take up the same amount of floor space, you aren't really saving any room by taking the smaller cabinet and on a tight stage. The top speakers are closer to your ears with the 4x12, too. If you need to reduce stage volume, get or build a shield.

Mesa makes 3 Recto 2x12s.

- Compact horizontal, which is smaller as the name implies. I had one & did not like the sound- too thin.
- Standard horizontal.
- Vertical, which is bigger internally & people say is **** close to a 4x12 sound.

I think perhaps you just got the wrong one.

Its a Standard Horizontal 2x12 with Vintage 30's.
How long do you think it takes until the speakers are broke in? How many hours?

fixman5150 said:
Its a Standard Horizontal 2x12 with Vintage 30's.
How long do you think it takes until the speakers are broke in? How many hours?

I wouldn't consider speakers to be "broken in" until there is at least 20 hours no them, and they will continue to mellow out from there.

Latest posts

Back