Any way to improve tone with loop on?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiliphil1

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a 94 tremoverb and I'm wanting to add some effects and a noise gate in the loop. The problem is that when the loop is engaged the tone goes to crap. It sounds terrible compared to the tone when it it bypassed. I've already done the serial loop conversion and that did not help at all!

Is there anything else I may be able to do for it to sound good with the loop in? Would love to be able to use the master volume as well. Thanks for any help.

Is it bad with the fx unplugged and the loop on?

Remove effects. Have just a patch cable if necessary and adjust the loop Send from about 10:00 to 2:00. To the left of Normal it gets brighter and loses bottom; To the right adds lows and get thumpy and dark. You may have to make adjustments to volume and EQ to compensate for which direction you turn the loop.

Then, plug your effects back in and see what happens.

Also, I like noise suppression out front. In the loop it sucked. That's with a noise decimator and a POD. The Nova System was slightly better, but decay was weird. If you're clamping it hard for the Metalz, it might be different from my experience.

Thanks for the replies. Currently I'm not using any effects. I'm looking to purchase some and then use them but for now I don't have any, so I'm just running a patch cable. Trying to just use it for master volume at this point.

Any chance one of your loop tubes is bad?

When I just use a patch to bypass it changes the character & cut of the sound, but not really the tone.

GJgo said:
Any chance one of your loop tubes is bad?

When I just use a patch to bypass it changes the character & cut of the sound, but not really the tone.

No, everything is good there..

Actually, not only did I replace all of the tubes, so it did it with 2 different tubes in it. I just traded the combo for a head and it's exactly the same problem.

Where do you have your volumes balanced when you run a patch to add the master volume? IME you need to run the master volume high then get the actual volume you want with the channel volumes. Also it'll sound poor if it's run too quiet because t00b.

Mine is currently:
Master volume ~3:00
Send level ~1:00
Mix level 100%
Channel volumes to suit, I practice with them around 9:00 & power on spongy.

Diode vs. tube rectification just changes based on what I'm playing.

GJgo said:
Where do you have your volumes balanced when you run a patch to add the master volume? IME you need to run the master volume high then get the actual volume you want with the channel volumes. Also it'll sound poor if it's run too quiet because t00b.

Mine is currently:
Master volume ~3:00
Send level ~1:00
Mix level 100%
Channel volumes to suit, I practice with them around 9:00 & power on spongy.

Diode vs. tube rectification just changes based on what I'm playing.

I've tried it with the master high and the channel low, the channel high and the master low, etc. I've put the send level all over the place. It just does not have the thump.

Any chance your patch cable is bad?

If not, you may want to send it back so Mike B. can go through it. Worth every penny. ToVs have a problem with bad LDRs.

GJgo said:
Any chance your patch cable is bad?

If not, you may want to send it back so Mike B. can go through it. Worth every penny. ToVs have a problem with bad LDRs.

Tried several. I'll have to look into a refresh for it. I think it's about $400? I'll have to save up for that.

Mine was in the 300 range, and I had him do a full recap while it was there. I can't recommend this enough.

GJgo said:
Mine was in the 300 range, and I had him do a full recap while it was there. I can't recommend this enough.

I'm going to look into that for sure.

Back