The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:57 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I ditched V30s from Roadster 2x12 combo and went for G12K-100s.
Couldn't be happier. Beautiful open clean tones and lethal recto crunch.
Very well balanced speakers with huge and tight low end.

To be honest I had long and exhausting fight with Roadster before I got it where I wanted it.
Lot of tube rolling to get all four channels to flourish and then making it work with G-System.
And finally proper speakers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:41 am 
Bottle Rocket

I usually use my Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 cab with my Triple Rectifier head.

I have also used a Marshall 1060A 4x12 cab and that sounded different (more middle biased but still punchy in the bottom end). I prefer V30s with the Rectifier but some people swear by the Marshall 1960A or B cabs, and they do sound good.

The EVM speakers are supposed to sound HUGE but I have not yet had a chance to try them out.

Some Mesa cabs mix both (V30 and C90) such as the RoadKing 2x12, which I played through once. It is half open backed and it did sound different again and very good, possibly more articulate? Best of both worlds maybe.

I just seem very attached to V30's lol.

There is a useful comparison video on YouTube demonstrating the sound of the various Celestion speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:01 pm 
Single Recto

jonnyf wrote:
I usually use my Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 cab with my Triple Rectifier head.

I have also used a Marshall 1060A 4x12 cab and that sounded different (more middle biased but still punchy in the bottom end). I prefer V30s with the Rectifier but some people swear by the Marshall 1960A or B cabs, and they do sound good.

The EVM speakers are supposed to sound HUGE but I have not yet had a chance to try them out.

Some Mesa cabs mix both (V30 and C90) such as the RoadKing 2x12, which I played through once. It is half open backed and it did sound different again and very good, possibly more articulate? Best of both worlds maybe.

I just seem very attached to V30's lol.

There is a useful comparison video on YouTube demonstrating the sound of the various Celestion speakers.

The EV speakers are actually more flat in its EQ and perhaps give the player the sense of more headroom compared to the V30s

I, too, love those V30s. Doesn't really matter what cab as well, but I really dig the Mesa cabs

As for the Marshall cabs, they are ok. Once you played through the handwired cabs, you'll hear the difference

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:13 pm 
Mark III

The reissue Greenbacks sound absolutely musical working with a Dual Rectifier. Tight lows, mids for days, and the high end isn't piercing like it can be with V30's. Another speaker that isn't too bad are Eminence Texas Heats. Those I would say and flatter than any of the speakers already mentioned in this thread, but can handle the amp wide open without flinching.

Celestion G12-65s do not sound good with Mesa anything. Let alone the Marshalls they were designed for. Those are just ugly sounding speakers.

Ibanez RG560
BC Rich Beast (Fully Understand it's namesake now)

"Efficiunt Daemones, ut quae non sunt, sic tamen quasi sint, conspicienda hominibus exhibeant." - Lactantius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:43 pm 
Donating Member

My favorite speaker with a Rectos is hands down the Mesa V30s in a Mesa cab. I've ran them through EVM-12L speakers before as well (and still have an EV loaded Mesa 1X12 Thiele cab). It's cool with them as well, but it's a little too neutral. I prefer the coloration of the V30s.

It sounds pretty good with Marshall V30s as well, though brighter for sure. I do enjoy the Recto with Greenbacks. I have an early 00s Marshall Greenback cab with UK G12Ms and a '76 "Blackback" cab. Sounds great with both.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:05 pm 
Dual Recto

I did get the EVM12L black labels back into my old OS recto cab. I actually like them better than the V30 with the Roadster. As it seems with the volume goes up, the V30s tend to get harsh, EV on the other hand just gets louder and places a different perspective on things. I have tried them in a traditional size cabinet, was not impressed as it sounded like the speaker was getting choked. In the OS recto 412 they rock. However, those that have a RA100: not recommended with EV, Mark series, Rectifier series are a definite yes).

A better alternative to the 412 cab would be the horizontal 212 as that cab sound deep on the bottom end even though it has V30s. Black Label versions of the EV speaker are closer to the original EVM12L black shadow used by Mesa. The Classic is a bit softer on the webbing and does not sound quite the same (had both when I owned a Mark III combo) but things have changed over the years and I have not had the classic version for many years (the one I had was 20 years old and the Mark III was 24 years old, still sounded as good as it did when I bought it).

I would consider the option when you are ready as they can be expensive speakers. Emminence and WGS have a similar version as a lower cost option.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:43 pm 
Mark III

My favorite cabinet for my playing type is still an early Rectifier straight cabinet with the straight angled baffle board. I have noticed newer ones are essentially a slant cabinet with straight sides. No clue about the differing geometry inside the cabinet affecting the sound but the newer cabinets do not sound as organic if I can use a word.

I also love removing the casters and using a small carpet remnant cut to the dimensions of the cabinet footprint. The coupling of the cabinet to the floor this way does some really neat things to the fluid dynamics of the audio. It affects the low end a little, but not in a bad way. I affirms my idea that a Rectifier is EQ'ed stock so that the low end starts about 18" below surface level compared to say a Marshall which starts about 18-24" above surface level.

Marshalls feel like a punch to the chest. Mesa's feel like they are destroying every atom around you before they explode you into cosmic energy.

Ibanez RG560
BC Rich Beast (Fully Understand it's namesake now)

"Efficiunt Daemones, ut quae non sunt, sic tamen quasi sint, conspicienda hominibus exhibeant." - Lactantius