Smoking Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plan-x

Reaction score
I was doing a sound check before a gig when my Rectoverb 25 head started losing volume and sounding spongy and splatty. Then the smell.....like something fried on the board. I switched to standby and was very sad that I didn't have a backup. Waited a couple of minutes, filp it back on, and it was now working just fine. :shock: It played without any issues the rest of the night.

I checked every knob and switch later and everything still functions. Anyone care to speculate WTH happened!!

plan-x said:
I was doing a sound check before a gig when my Rectoverb 25 head started losing volume and sounding spongy and splatty. Then the smell.....like something fried on the board. I switched to standby and was very sad that I didn't have a backup. Waited a couple of minutes, filp it back on, and it was now working just fine. :shock: It played without any issues the rest of the night.

I checked every knob and switch later and everything still functions. Anyone care to speculate WTH happened!!
I would suspect blown screen grid resistor from a shorted output tube. Once the screen grid resistor blew (failed open) the tube would no longer be drawing current and act as if it was turned off. The amp will still operate, but the output section will be out of balance and begin to feel 'sloppy' and not sound quite right.

I recommend having the amp checked. I played two rehearsals with a blown screen grid resistor before I noticed something 'felt' off with the amp.

Dom

That sounds about right. I have replaced grid resistors on my LSC about 3 different times. The lonestar doesn't function normal after that. As for this Recto V 25, it's still under warranty so.... off to Petaluma. This is an incentive to change tubes before this can happen. It's been almost 2.5 yrs.

Update: Sent the amp to Mesa and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So it's coming back with no work done. :shock: They said before they got it that it sounded like the power tube fried a grid resistor. Now they say they ran it for several hours, several days with out a glitch. So they don't even recommend a tube change and as for the smell I initially detected...they have no idea since everything checks out.

plan-x said:
Update: Sent the amp to Mesa and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So it's coming back with no work done. :shock: They said before they got it that it sounded like the power tube fried a grid resistor. Now they say they ran it for several hours, several days with out a glitch. So they don't even recommend a tube change and as for the smell I initially detected...they have no idea since everything checks out.

I did suggest the odor was from the test-labels on the EL84's, since they have no bases on them like the bigger bottle tubes do....the adhesive can get hot and let off a burning odor. Thanks!

Yes, you did say that and that would be preferred over actual circuitry cooking. Thanks for looking at it. 8) The free return shipping was pretty nice also.

Back